May 02, 2024, 12:02:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

bulb for tail light brake light

Started by schrec, November 24, 2008, 05:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schrec

So I notice the tail light part of my rear light is out.  I go to the shop and get a new one.  remove the old light with a twist and a pop, and for the life of me I cannot get the new light in.  i know the nipples are offset, so that is not the problem.  it looks like the lower nipple on the new light is closer to the edge than the nipple on the new bulb.  the light is a 8GE, or 198HD.  Light that came out I think was original to my 99 electra glide.  is it possible that these new light bulbs from my dealer are bad? 

rigidthumper

Part number should have been 68168-89A for the new bulb.
HTH
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

schrec

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 24, 2008, 07:16:18 AM
Part number should have been 68168-89A for the new bulb.
HTH
Robin

That is the part they sold me.  I cannot get it to fit in the socket though. 

schrec

well I went back to the shop and this time I took the pigtail for the rear light with me.  parts dude was giving me a funny look when I told him I was having trouble installing the bulb.  so the dude takes the bulb and the socket and about 2 seconds later he has the same look on his face I must have had on mine.....  so he digs in the cabinet and finds me another bulb, tries it out and it goes in, so I wasn't that crazy after all......

smoserx1

just for future reference a 99 EG can use a plain old 1157 bulb for the taillight - available everywhere.