May 04, 2024, 03:18:00 PM

News:

Will 07 & up heads fit 99-06?

Started by Kleetus, November 24, 2008, 07:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleetus

November 24, 2008, 07:37:05 AM Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:59:23 AM by Kleetus
Current build: 03 Carbed FLHTC 95" Andrews 26G's 82cc combustion chambers ccp 185psi with 117K miles. I am considering an Axtell 117" build with SE 3 3/8 4 3/8"  :bf: crank. Will the 95cc or 98cc SE heads fit my build? I need a low compression large cu. inch engine with torque cams to give a long service life and be flexible on fuel grades. Keeping the ccp low should also stop starter problems. I've gone through 2 starter clutches and one ring/pinion set while running the 185ccp. Attached is my dyno run from 2004. No significant changes since then except went from 2:1 E-Pipe to Super Trapp 2:1.

Thanks,
KLeetus

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

ederdelyi

November 24, 2008, 07:45:56 AM #1 Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:55:30 AM by ederdelyi
Yes, but I'd be more inclined to run a set of worked stock bathtub heads with dished pistons if you want a low CR 117" motor. Talk to the folks at Axtell, they'll be more than happy to steer you in the right direction. '06 and later take-offs would be a good base to work from ... JMHO.

EDIT: I'm sure you meant 4 3/8" stroke, but hey, I like de-stroked motors ... built a couple of real screamers by doing that :>)

Kleetus

Thanks Ed. I have a set of OEM 05 heads that I'd love to have some magic done to for this build. I'd rather have some great heads that flow instead of the SE units anyway. I was just looking for some room in the combustion chamber to keep the CR down in the low 9's. I just don't want to get into the comp. releases issue. I know this is asking a lot from a 117" but I think it would run cool, give a long service life and give up good mileage. I was wondering before if the Axtell pistons had enough meat in them to be dished out and if so how much could be removed to achieve this with a set of 85cc heads. By using the compression calculator I calculate their pistons to have an -11.5 dish now.

Thanks,

Kleetus

ederdelyi

I wouldn't try to dish the pistons any more than they are. You can work the heads a bit to pick up some chamber volume ... don't get carried away as you need the quench area for good flame speed. If it was mine, I''d shoot for right at 10.0:1 static and a cam with an intake close that will get you the ccp target you are trying to hit. With a tight quench and good tune that motor should run and start just fine even with the "panther piss" lots of places are trying to pass off as gasoline. Again, I'd talk to the folks at Axtell and see what they have to say. It's really not that hard to buils a big "dumb" HD motor ... they kinda come that way stock :>)

If you go with the SE large chamber heads I would not bolt them on without working them a bit ... again, the folks at Axtell know those heads and can help you point you in the right direction.

Kleetus

Thank you again for your advice. I just sent Axtell a note and will see what they have to say. If I kept the CR at 10:1 which cams in your opinion would give an easy ccp? I know my Andrews 26g's would probably destroy everything.

Thanks,
Kleetus

ederdelyi

November 24, 2008, 09:05:47 AM #5 Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:28:52 AM by ederdelyi
Well, if i still [remeber] remember how to figger this stuff :>)

A$$uming an 88cc chamber, 11.5cc dish, 0.030 head gasket, 0 deck, yada yada, and 117CI should yield a static CR of ~10.02:1.

Now comes the tough part. I don't think 185 ccp is unmanageable and should not cause starter issues .... but, I can only go by my own experience and that of others that I've built and tuned motors for. If it were me, I'd be looking for a cam that had an intake close in the 47-50 deg. range which should give a ccp in the 183 - 179 range. Couple that with a duration in the range of 248 -252 (again a$$uming that the motor will not be head/port/valve limited) and it should be a pretty mild mannered and strong running motor. Something like a TW8 or TC26 (among others) would be where I would be looking. The biggest problem you run into trying to build a motor like this is that cam choices get rather limited. While the cam may have an intake close that is suitable most of the cams intended for larger motors have far to much duration/lift to be suitable, IMO. Yeah, I know ... what is wrong with that old bastard :>) But hey, if i can make a 120" motor make good street power with cams like that others should be able to as well ...  :pop:

EDIT: Guess I still remember how, but my typing SUCKS :>)

ejk_dyna

Axtell already has the pistons you need.  part# 800-865a. -10cc reverse dish for 117".  Your stock 05 heads can easily be set at 88 or 89cc after porting and sinking in larger valves.  This will give you 10.0-10.2 depending on whether you use .040 or .030 hg.  Axtell kit comes standard with .040 cometic.

Cams like Ed said.  WT 26-g or Woods TW8-G.  Or if you want a little more the Woods tw9bg.

Kleetus

ejk dyna,

I just picked up a set of 06 heads from e-bay so once they arrive I'll figure where I need to send them to get massaged. Next will be the 4 3/8 stroker crank and the Axtell jug/piston sets. I'm still got to figure out what cams I'll run. I want an easy starter that hopefully won't need compression releases. Perhaps the Wild Things units you mentioned. I'll run them through the compression calculator and see what turns up.   
Thank you and Ed and all the other guru's here for your advice. Once I start the build I'll follow up. Now for a morning cup. :tea:

Kleetus

djl

ejk dyna,
I just picked up a set of 06 heads from e-bay so once they arrive I'll figure where I need to send them to get massaged. Next will be the 4 3/8 stroker crank and the Axtell jug/piston sets. I'm still got to figure out what cams I'll run. I want an easy starter that hopefully won't need compression releases. Perhaps the Wild Things units you mentioned. I'll run them through the compression calculator and see what turns up.   
Thank you and Ed and all the other guru's here for your advice. Once I start the build I'll follow up. Now for a morning cup. :tea:

Kleetus

When I was planning a 107" build, the WT cams were on the list but, from what I understand, those cams require a little different porting approach.  I stayed away because I didn't want to take the time to learn/figure it out and stuck with a conventional approach.  Mike52 knows something about porting for the WT cams and I think DD has been talking to Mike Roland on the porting technique for those cams. I am thinking about using them to upgrade my 95" Deuce.

Don D

December 01, 2008, 10:20:51 AM #9 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:23:29 AM by Deweysheads
The WT26 or Andrews TW55 would come up on my short list, also the SE257 or Andrews 67 in a 117" shifts from a hot rod grind in the 95-103" to a very manageable wide power band cam. CR needs to be adjusted accordingly for any of them and I have been trying to target 9.2 corrected these days with the poor gas we are handed.

Kleetus

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 01, 2008, 10:20:51 AM
The WT26 or Andrews TW55 would come up on my short list, also the SE257 or Andrews 67 in a 117" shifts from a hot rod grind in the 95-103" to a very manageable wide power band cam. CR needs to be adjusted accordingly for any of them and I have been trying to target 9.2 corrected these days with the poor gas we are handed.

From what I've read about the WT26's I like the idea of a quiet running cam. And, I'd like to know that if all I could get was mid grade fuel than it would be OK with no pinging issues. And of course, easy starting is paramount. I've gone through 2 starter clutches and one ring & pinion in the past 117K miles while my ccp has been 185psi. Because Ed said that ccp should not be a problem, my compression tester may be off a bit. However, I'm running an Andrews 26G with 95" SE flattops and SBC shaved the heads worked to 82cc and .030 HG with zero deck.

Thank you for you input.
Kleetus

Don D

The WT 26 has a late enough close and when set up properly will be very quiet and have stock like manors just a lot more power and torque. The 06up heads can be easily reworked to suit these cams.

Kleetus

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 01, 2008, 01:01:29 PM
The WT 26 has a late enough close and when set up properly will be very quiet and have stock like manors just a lot more power and torque. The 06up heads can be easily reworked to suit these cams.

Thanks for the tips. I might be calling you a little later on about the head porting.
Kleetus