May 01, 2024, 04:25:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

05 Springer starting to burn oil and 211 cam ?

Started by txrooster, November 24, 2008, 08:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txrooster

November 24, 2008, 08:33:35 AM Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:07:13 AM by txlegman
05 with 7k on it. Started it up Saturday and noticed it smelled like oil burning. Pulled both plugs, both were black but the rear was worse. I just posted that I had no issues with this one guess I jinxed myself. Considering bumping this motor up to a 95" using the 211's and a head job. Need thoughts on the 211"s.
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

GoFast.....

Quote from: txlegman on November 24, 2008, 08:33:35 AM
05 with 7k on it. Started it up Saturday and noticed it smelled like oil burning. Pulled both plugs, both were black but the rear was worse. I just posted that I had no issues with this one guess I jinxed myself. Considering bumping this motor up to a 95" using the 211's and a head job. Need thoughts on the 211"s.
sometimes It is a one time deal. Oil through the breather vent holes. Hope fully it does not keep it up
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

fxstdavew

05's had valve seal issues.If you are thinking of making it a 95" with headwork this should solve your issue plus make it lots more fun to ride. There are better choices than the 211 cams . Really just depends on the type of riding you do.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

HV

05 will most likely need new seals for sure... as for the 211s... I like them ..clean the heads up a bit ..and they also like a bit higher then stock compression such as using .030 head gaskets
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

txrooster

I'm not looking for stop light to stop light fun but good power under load and good highway manners when needed. I expect to be in the 70 - 80 MPH range the majority of the time.
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: txlegman on November 24, 2008, 08:33:35 AM

Yep your valve seals are gone.  Check out these people for cams, pistons, cylinder boring and heads. http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/