May 01, 2024, 04:34:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

is it ok to reuse the lifters on a cam swap?

Started by taz95dog, November 24, 2008, 12:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taz95dog

'06 u/c stage 1. 15,000 miles,oil gets changed every 3,000 miles(syn)going with 203 cams.dealer says to buy new lifters($100.00) . what would do? thanks bill... :shark:
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

Bakon

You can reuse. 203 is mild cam, you dont have a lot of miles there. Will be fine.
wasting time

Don D

If it were mine and I was doing the work I would reuse them but in a dealer install situation they may press the issue to replace them. Warranty of their work, CYA from comebacks.

taz95dog

thanks .i had heard it was ok to reuse them. but it makes sense that the dealer doesn't want any comebacks...bill...

dave629

4500 miles since Woods 6 cam change. Used original (4K miles) lifters with no problems. Inspect the lifters closely and reject them for any flaws. Just use plenty of love lube on yer lobes, and other valvetrain components. I hear SB Chevy lifters are the same as HD T/C - anyone like to chime in on this?????

Wingnut

Reuse the lifters, swap out the cams yourself. (screw the dealer) With the money that you save you should be able to get 95" jugs and pistons. The 06 heads you have are fine for a nice streetable 95" build. The fine members here at HTT will get you threw it.  Piece of cake.  Just my opinion.  May need a few bucks for a PC or a DFO. Good luck.
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

frito1

Dave629

I've been running Comp Cams Chevy lifters in my bike with 21g's for the last 35K miles.

YMMV

s-r-t
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

taz95dog

thanks again for the info;this site is great. :beer: