May 01, 2024, 04:45:49 PM

News:

1987 FLST turn signal relay location?

Started by stick70, November 24, 2008, 12:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stick70

I recently posted about turn signal problems and am guessing the turn signal relay is mounted on the frame backbone under the speedometer housing. Anyone know for sure? Do the tanks have to be removed?
Thanks
Stick

tinkerman

Hey Stick,

Replaced my relay a few years ago as part of installing a self cancelling kit on my 88FLSTC. My memory is not all that good but for sure there is very little room between the side of the tank and the frame, just enough space for the electrical harnesss to split up and go in it's various directions. I know I retrofitted some innertube rubber as a buffer between the tank and the wiring as the wiring was getting chafed a little by the tank. So the relay is not in there. I believe it is hanging somewhere just under your speedo mounting sub frame.

If the relay is working at all, turn on a signal light with the speedo assembly out of the way and listen for the relay doing it's job. If you can't find it this way you may have to remove your tanks, (I did to hide the kit wiring) which will open up the whole wiring chassis at this point.

You can get the tanks off by yourself with some judicious McGivering but better if you have a hand with it, as dropping a tank can be a real let down. Three attachement points for each tank, don't remove all three bolts unless that tank is supported by someone else's hands or some other support. Watch the gas and fumes if you are in a shop, or for that matter out doors.

Sorry my memory is not any better, hope this helps some,

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003