April 27, 2024, 11:12:29 PM

News:

Front Wheel Fitment

Started by Silent Force, November 12, 2009, 10:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Force

Can someone tell me why this wheel will not vit a 06 vrod? All Hd wheels run 02-06 except this one. Can get much info from the dealer on this because its discontinued.....thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250238687152&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

FSG

Refer  J03094    ROAD WINDER CUSTOM WHEEL KITS (Front),   41629-06, 44632-03, 44633-03, 44634-03, 44635-03, 44666-04,44653-04, 44659-04, 44667-04, 44689-05

Now ask yourself the below question.

Q:  In the 2006 Model Year what changed that would affect the front wheel?

A:  Brembo brakes introduced on Street Rodâ,,¢ are now offered on all VRSC models.

Silent Force

So does that mean if I dont have the Brembo options on my 06 this wheel would work.....? Thanks

FSG

Quote from: Silent Force on November 12, 2009, 04:42:14 PM
So does that mean if I dont have the Brembo options on my 06 this wheel would work.....? Thanks

Are you saying you have an '06 VRod that doesn't have Brembos?  If so what model?

rbonner

Now that brembo thing was a major change to the SLIDERS and that's it.  Where the problems start happening is with the AXEL thicknes.  This means the wheels that came with bearings would not fit the bigger axels.

Me and the VP of Wrenches at my Harley Dealer are putting our heads together on my FLHT as I was to put the new CVO wheels on my 07...  MY bike does not have Brembos but all the dimentions are identical.  Its all bearings, axel and spacers.

I'm willing to be a test pilot and even have some custom spacers made.  With that comes a price $$$  Are you willing to be the only guy on the planet with that wheel in the front?  Then buy it and figure out what needs to be done.  BUt don't fear it because of the brakes...  If the space between rotors is the same and the diameter is the same, life is good.

Now I have to spring for the wheel and a fist full of parts and start experimenting.  My dealer is behind me however, we've done this before.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

bikerider58

In 06 the A, D, and R used the same rotor.  This rotor has a wider mounting pattern than the one on the rim.  So, this could be the issue.

Yes Brembo brakes arrived in 06 as well, but I don't know if the offset (lateral disc rotor placement) changed.  The size of the disc is the same (300mm versus 299mm).  I don't believe the spacing on the sliders changed since I've seen upgrade kits with the Brembo calipers listed for earlier bikes.  I justed measured and the mounting hole spacing looks to be 68mm (center to center).

The axles changed to 25mm in 07.  O.D. remained 52mm but the I.D. changed from 1" to 25mm".  This is actually a good thing since you have a much wider selection of bearings. 

I believe in 07 the rear also got fat with the 240 rear tire.  Changes were with the swing arm, axle length and spacers.  Except on the R that retained the 180 rear tire.

Hal64hd

Quote from: rbonner on November 12, 2009, 04:49:53 PM
Now that brembo thing was a major change to the SLIDERS and that's it.  Where the problems start happening is with the AXEL thicknes.  This means the wheels that came with bearings would not fit the bigger axels.

BOB

There was no change with the sliders in 06 same past number as a 02