April 27, 2024, 09:35:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bates seat on ebay

Started by 04customking, November 14, 2009, 12:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04customking

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370284671456&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's me I'm sure but I can't believe how much this seat went for. Yea, it's a Bates seat but what make's it worth $1600.+? Does it mean that much to say you have one? This one blew me away.
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

CraigArizona85248

I guess things are worth what people are willing to pay.  I'd be able to get about 20 of those seat for $1600 at the price I'm willing to pay.  LOL  I personally think you'd be crazy to pay $1600 for that seat (any seat?)... Maybe it's time to dig around in the garage and see if I can find some "gold". 

-Craig

RKTonyC

Maybe he took the t-shirt literally and thought the chick came with the seat...

twincamzz

...no doubt about it, some folks got more $$$ than sense. Chick DID look pretty hot though.  :smilep:
not all who wander are lost...

Pynzo

Nice upholstery- on the broad!

Ultrashovel

Quote from: RKTonyC on November 14, 2009, 02:57:21 PM
Maybe he took the t-shirt literally and thought the chick came with the seat...

Yeah, I'm just sayin'........... :hyst:

dablaze

Not sure, and not gonna spend no time to think about it either, but I took a quick look at the bid history and noticed that a couple of times there were guys overbidding themselves...

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

Ultrashovel

Quote from: dablaze on November 15, 2009, 05:50:50 PM

Not sure, and not gonna spend no time to think about it either, but I took a quick look at the bid history and noticed that a couple of times there were guys overbidding themselves...

Craig

When that happens, it merely means that the bidders had bid by proxy and the bids were advancing automatically.

That's a silly price for a saddle, I don't care who made it.

CraigArizona85248

Yeah... unfortunately there is a bit of "Bates madness" going on these days.  I've seen several of those seats sell for around $1K. But this one is the the highest so far.  There are many repop seats that look identical and it's hard to tell the difference.  And they aren't that comfortable at all.   :hyst:

-Craig

Ultrashovel

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on November 15, 2009, 08:17:27 PM
Yeah... unfortunately there is a bit of "Bates madness" going on these days.  I've seen several of those seats sell for around $1K. But this one is the the highest so far.  There are many repop seats that look identical and it's hard to tell the difference.  And they aren't that comfortable at all.   :hyst:

-Craig

Bates was quite an entrepeneur. I met him several times when I was riding Hare and Hounds in Southern California. He would often appear at shows in a station wagon, peddling his wares, things like leather, seats, oil, etc. He ultimately built up a large business with his own motorcycle parts catalog. .

The seat is a cult item, I guess. I've seen them before but I couldn't imagine owning one and certainly paying that sort of money would be a real strange thing. I hope it winds up in a museum somewhere.

BikerJim44

While the seat pic was nice I think this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370301685586, gas tank looked pretty sweet too. Just sayin'. Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.

Ultrashovel

Ahh, where's the other side of the fuel tank?