May 09, 2024, 02:42:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1979 FXEF-93 Build

Started by rbonner, November 15, 2009, 12:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbonner

I finally got the camera out figured I'd try and take a couple photos of the engine sitting in the dining room.  The house is getting remodelled and a lot of stuff is pushed into the DN.  Looks like I needed to windex the finger prints off the polished parts..  The Rocker Boxes are those S&S billet jobs.

I've got most of my parts out to polish, or polish and chrome.  Hopefully monday I will have the frame blasted and then everything over to powder coat.  Bought new tires for it, as soon as I get the 9 spokes back from the polisher, having the machined edge polished...  I'll get them mounted and start putting it back together.  I'm excited.

BOB

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

HotRodShovel

Lookin good. The S&S rocker boxes always get good reports. Good luck with the build. Keep us informed with progress pics every now and then.  :up:
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

76shuvlinoff

Good luck, 93" is a great size mill especailly on the lighter bikes. Should be a screamer when you're done.  :up:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Lew

-It is now later than it has ever been before-

rbonner

Huge day today.  First dropped frame at the sand blaster at 9:30AM.  Didn't want to just leave it but they took good care.  Went to Polisher / Small parts chromer and picked up swingarm and other small parts for powder coating.  Back after lunch and picked up the frame just before they started blasting a sprint car frame...  Starting to think about building another dragster. 

Found a really nice building for rent on top of the cliff in Sioux Falls.  Right across from the Amidon Affair monument.  Indian attack that killed two and caused the town to evacuate for two years.  Will be looking at the building tomorrow.  6000 foot of shop space, truck loading dock and a drive in door.  24 foot sidewalls.  Building about 3 years old.

Then took parts down to my powder coater.  He says he'll probably do them over the weekend...  One week is pretty good for that guy...  Then after about an hour of bsing he said he'll try to get them done by friday.

SO I'll be starting to put stuff together if my polisher gets my sliders and wheels done.  I'm getting rather excited.

BOB

otis

Sounds like my kind of day.....

I see alot of those S&S rockers with oil getting fed through the pushrods.  I'm just curious.....Did you go external because of looks or ???

Thanks,
Pat

rbonner

November 16, 2009, 07:39:02 PM #6 Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:43:59 PM by rbonner
Hi Pat, absolutely all looks. We had talked it over a bunch... and decided the chrome lines is way cool. Suspect with the Jim's lifters and pushrods they aren't oiling internally at all... Left that to Leo to do. NOW I will have to ask.

The only thing I'm having trouble with in my mind of the oil system is: They hung a Sifton polished go fast but with all the stock oil lines... But then the shop recommends a wet primary and plug all the lines. Yeah its cool with all the Frankenstein like hoses everywhere, but so much better to keep primary parts out of your engine, so I will have to come up with a plan.  MAybe just block the return and plug it, and turn off the oilers, leave all lines intact...

What do all you guys think?

BOB

76shuvlinoff

My S&S 93 is running the Jims top end oiler system. The S&S pump on it doesn't even have the rear chain oiling option and I sealed off my primary when I installed this mill.
Too each his own but I don't miss any of the lines myself.  I am not sure the cv throttle cable assembly would have cleared the line between the rockers.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

Bob, you thinking about building a shop in that space you looked at?  Jeez, some guys have all the luck. I would love to have a shop outside the home, ya know instead of the garage.
Good luck, I hope you get it going.
John

dave_9113

+1 on sealing your primary. 

otis

+1 on sealing the primary....it's a must.

I probably would not miss the oil feed lines either, but can't justify the cash. 

However, I did split the feed line so both rockers get oil at the same time(see pic).  I will eventually make a better connector, but this works for now.

Pat

HotRodShovel

Pat, I like the way your clutch cable is routed. Where is the bracket?  Bob, sorry to hijack....
John

rbonner

Quote from: Rudy on November 17, 2009, 07:51:50 PM
Pat, I like the way your clutch cable is routed. Where is the bracket?  Bob, sorry to hijack....

Naw not a hyjack.  I kinda think this is where we can discuss some of the mad scientist stuff on our builds...  I spent the whole day mixing beakers of green and orange chemicals for some diabolical purpose that I haven't thought out yet.  Spent a couple hours over at that new building i was going to look at...  It's only 4 years old.  When you take the mezzanine out and the office space it's 5000 feet of shop space...  I really want it, but don't know if I can afford it.  Oh heck I know I can't afford it.

BOB

otis

Rudy,

The bracket holding the cable end is mounted directly to the trans top cover - stock 82 FXR.

I added a clip to the engine case thru bolt - where the carb support bracket is mounted.  This keeps the cable away from the pushrod covers.

The cable is clipped to the frame on the primary side.

Regards,
Patrick

HotRodShovel

Thanks Pat, I like it but on the FL frame the down tube would be right in the way, however you have sparked some new thought on re routing my clutch cable.

Bob, we can dream brother...I'm always day dreaming.
John

rbonner

Small day but achieved some results.  Picked up the fork sliders and top tree from polisher today, he's currently working on my wheels.  We're trying to get the chassis rolling fast after getting it back from PC'er.  You should see the polish on those sliders.  WOW, beyond chrome.  The tree has some pock marks in the casting, so we had him only polish where it will be visable to keep time on that piece under control.

Went up to the Harley dealer and bought small parts for the fork...  Even ordered the AMBER reflectors.  Reassembled the lower forks while watching TV.  Sure wish I had a fork seal inserter deal.  Never used one, but I'm sure it would make the process easier...  Was digging in the junk box and found a chrome plated handlebar riser set.  I have no idea where they came from...  Bought a set of those sportster Polyurethane handlebar bushings out of the current catalog, they fit perfect.. Adds a little sparkle where I'd just have crap otherwise.

Tried to find my speedo drive...  Where oh where did that go?  Bought new chromed one off eBay.  Hoping to see frame Friday; have to go to Vikings game in MSP for Sunday...  SHould have wheels Friday too.

BOB

rbonner

Been using my tap set a lot in the last couple days cleaning up aluminum threads.  Bought a few new bolts today.  Didn't get the call from the powder coater, so he'll be doing the frame probably tomorrow.  Sunday I'm at the Vikings game in MSP.

I made the big call today and committed for the building for my Laboratory Jan 1.

Placed a call to one of my buds who has an evenings bike shop in town.  He gets a LOT of work and has been working out of a quanset hut in a storage complex.  Offered to let him move into the space with me.  Would be a good marriage.  He works for FedEX and I used to be a FedEX pilot, and we both work on bikes.  Him for a living and me for a hobby.

The rest of my space I will be designing other kinds of products...  I'm a mad scientist and I've needed room for my chemistry set for a long time. 

If anybody cares you can drive to the building and have a look see.  1012 E Amidon Street, Sioux Falls, SD  use google maps and when the address comes up click on it.  Select street view and drive down the street its the first building on the north just west of cliff...  Pretty big place.

BOB

HotRodShovel

Great, Bob. Good luck man. Every guy would love to have his mad scientist lab. By the way, I looked at the space on Google and it is big. I also found your neighbor.  Crazy, man.  I swear, he lives there. :hyst:

John

rbonner

Actually this is the building I'm getting, magic makers moved two blocks down and doubled the building size...  This guy is pretty cool..  Met him of course he owns the building.  BOB

HotRodShovel

It looks like a big space. Good luck Bob, I envy you man. I would love to have a big fully stocked shop and a place to go crazy in.
John

rbonner

Oh I made a photo gallery BOB's BIKES,  Stuck a few of the units in there.  There's also a pic of this FXEF when I got it...  I still have another bunch of pics to post / resize.  When I get some time I will do that.

Parts are showing up left and right, still no frame or additional polishing back.  Getting bored I wanna build something.

BOB

rbonner

November 28, 2009, 08:34:03 PM #21 Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:36:28 PM by rbonner
AW, big day for all the wrong reasons. Will probably put a halt on the shop plans. It's like pouring concrete in the ground and I might want to stay mobile.  Figger I can roll a couple $K into my home garage and be winter and summer capable. All confused.

Got new wheel bearings installed and new rubber rolled on the mags today; had the motor shop do the work due to no bearing puller. The polisher did the rim edges and spoke edge; they look pretty good.  I have some time-sert kits coming to fix up a couple of the holes for the sprocket and rotor on the rear. They didn't clean up to my spec.

The powder coater still has the frame. Going on 12 days now. He's got a big oven and likes to have it full when he turns on the gas.  I can understand that, but this is going a week longer than I needed.  I will stop down there on Monday to shake things up some.

Wife said why are you bringing those inside referring to the wheels. Guess wheels without tires is OK in the house, but with rubber not.  I said, I'm going to assemble the bike in the dining room and roll it out the back door and got all sorts of noises...  HA... Well the engine and trans are all clean and shiny and in there, now the wheels. What's wrong with a perfectly clean frame? This is getting to be interesting.

WILL I be able to get the bike into complete roller with the engine in it and everthing or will I have to carry the mill outside to the garage to install?

BOB

76shuvlinoff

Hell I got in hot water for rattle canning some parts in the basement, guess I understand that..... it did kinda stink up the whole place.  :embarrassed:
Whole bike in the house? Ain't gonna happen here not even if it's spotless and drained dry.

My "shop" out in the barn is far from perfect and in the dead of winter it's around 175 wind blown and snow drifted feet from the house... did I mention it's quiet in there?   :hyst:
 - Ernest Hemingway

hightop

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on November 17, 2009, 02:47:06 AM
My S&S 93 is running the Jims top end oiler system. The S&S pump on it doesn't even have the rear chain oiling option and I sealed off my primary when I installed this mill.
Too each his own but I don't miss any of the lines myself.  I am not sure the cv throttle cable assembly would have cleared the line between the rockers.

Mark

The CV bracket does interfere with the crossover line, I've got a pan-shovel with a CV, and had to cut the return throttle side of the bracket off to clear it, but it still has the internal throttle so I only needed the one side anyway.

hightop

Quote from: dave_9113 on November 17, 2009, 08:22:38 AM
+1 on sealing your primary. 

Me too, you don't want that clutch dust, etc. circulating thru your motor, IMO.