May 01, 2024, 09:21:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mike52 question for you

Started by V24me, November 24, 2008, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V24me

I hear you have had some experience with the tc-26 cam on a 95"  Wondering what head work is needed.  Are the SE heads good right off the shelf, or do they need a mild or aggresive clean up?  How about valve size and carb size mik 42 or 45?
thanks for any advice,
Val
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

Mike52

Val, I've been lucky a couple of times. For these cams to work to their full potential, you will need head work to take advantage of the cams specs, S.E. heads off the shelf will not do this, even with clean up. Forget the S.E. heads for these cams. If you want to drop me an email, I'll be glad to answer all your questions.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

ejk_dyna

Don't waste your time and money with se heads.  If you want a killer WT 26G build have Bob Wright port your stock heads and use WT pistons and then follow the rest of their recipe.

V24me

I already have the SE heads and they are diamond cut.  I want them to match the diamond cut jugs.  I have a respected shop to work the heads, but  was wondering if the valves should be larger?
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

Mike52

Val, sorry, the larger valves in the S.E. heads won't help, it will make things worse with the TC26 cams, this is a case where bigger isn't better. Sounds like with all the $$ you have tied up in the S.E. heads, you need to go a different route with cams. The right head work for the TC26 cams is essential for max performance and you aren't going to get there with S.E. heads, stock or modified. Sorry

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

GoFast.....

Quote from: Mike52 on November 24, 2008, 07:30:06 PM
Val, sorry, the larger valves in the S.E. heads won't help, it will make things worse with the TC26 cams, this is a case where bigger isn't better. Sounds like with all the $$ you have tied up in the S.E. heads, you need to go a different route with cams. The right head work for the TC26 cams is essential for max performance and you aren't going to get there with S.E. heads, stock or modified. Sorry

Mike
Mike he might be able to put bigger exhaust valves in it and get by, He could send them to Bob and see if Bob could fix them
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

Mike52

Quote from: GoFast..... on November 24, 2008, 07:36:15 PMMike he might be able to put bigger exhaust valves in it and get by, He could send them to Bob and see if Bob could fix them

Barry, I've talked to Bob about using the S.E. heads with the TC26 cams, Bob doesn't like the S.E. heads, ports are all wrong. As I told Val, they won't work, it doesn't matter what you do to them, they are not suited for the TC26 combo. Let me put it in simple terms, you start with a turd, you rework the turd, in the end, it's still a turd. Make sense now??   :horse:

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

GoFast.....

Quote from: 05FLHTC on November 24, 2008, 07:57:34 PM
Why not do the S&S 570 hippo build with the SE heads & FT pistons?
that sound good

Mike52

Quote from: 05FLHTC on November 24, 2008, 07:57:34 PM
Why not do the S&S 570 hippo build with the SE heads & FT pistons?

He wasn't asking about the Hippo build or the S&S 570 cams. He wanted info on the TC26 combo.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

specialx1

Mike
Just curious as to what type of pistons you think work well with the tc26 cams witht the head work you are talking about for 95 inch you talking flattops? forged?
spmething along the lines of 9 1/4 -1 compression type or ?
Thx Mike
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

Mike52

special, the piston that I've always used has been the Wild Things forged domed. These cams work the best at between 10.25-10.75cr. With the proper chamber CCs, head gasket, etc, you should shoot for an honest 10.5cr for these cams. Don't get the impression that it will be hard to start or ping, the late intake closing of 50º helps. These cams with that much compression will start like a stocker, idle very nicely and run like hell.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

GoFast.....

Quote from: Mike52 on November 24, 2008, 08:48:45 PM
special, the piston that I've always used has been the Wild Things forged domed. These cams work the best at between 10.25-10.75cr. With the proper chamber CCs, head gasket, etc, you should shoot for an honest 10.5cr for these cams. Don't get the impression that it will be hard to start or ping, the late intake closing of 50º helps. These cams with that much compression will start like a stocker, idle very nicely and run like hell.

Mike
Mike one day I was talking to the tech guy at Wt things and I thought he said the WT PISTONS are made to sit about ,005 above the cylinder, I think it means from the pin to the top it is something like . 005 taller. Could be more

ejk_dyna

<<Mike one day I was talking to the tech guy at Wt things and I thought he said the WT PISTONS are made to sit about ,005 above the cylinder, I think it means from the pin to the top it is something like . 005 taller. Could be more>>

I think the sit .015 above the cylinder deck.  Allows the use of stock HD head gasket to obtain nice squish.

ICANTD55

you start with a turd, you rework the turd, in the end, it's still a . Make sense now??   

thats pretty clear to me.

Lots of other good cam options. talk to one of the porters and let them set up a package you will be happier in the end. Gota save them dimond cut heads.
RICK , MA

Mike52

Quote from: ejk_dyna on November 25, 2008, 12:26:13 AMI think they sit .015 above the cylinder deck.  Allows the use of stock HD head gasket to obtain nice squish.

That is correct, M. Roland designed them with a positive .015" deck height so a stock HD head gasket would give the 'ideal' .030" squish. Due to HD manufacturing tolerances, every set I've used, either the domed or flat tops, never come out to .015 +. Usually .012-.014" which is still a good tight squish with a .045 gasket. On the good TC26 builds, I used a .040" gasket for a tighter squish of .027-.028", the owners know to let the engine warm up good before hammering the throttle.

05, I wasn't trying to be a smartass, I know how easy these threads drift off topic, just trying to keep it on the subject. Sorry if I offended anyone.

BTW, Val is already running the Hippo build using the S&S 570 cams, flat top pistons, D&D Fatcat, etc. He was hoping to gain a little more low end torque with the cam swap.   

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net