May 07, 2024, 10:14:11 PM

News:

Rear fender widths

Started by fuzznut5197, November 16, 2009, 06:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzznut5197

What is the difference between a 03 and 04, is the 04 and up wider?

Panzer

Just measured mine.........8-1/4"...side to side.
That's on an 07' 1200c sporty, you didn't say what yours is.
Hope that helps.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

andyxlh

Hello mate
I believe the width of the rear fender from '82-'2003 was the same and the bikes ran a 130 series tyre. Earlier sporties ran a 110 series I think. The '04 model came out with a 150 series which made it a wider fender too as I remember. Perhaps someone with an 04 can confirm the tyre size increase for the first of the rubber mounts.
The 82-03 fender came in at least 2 types as the holes to mount it changed in the '93-'94 years. The width of Panzer's 8 1/4" is a lot wider than my '89 - I think it is about 7 1/2" wide or so, and the '04 should be the same as the '07 if it has the same 150 tyre.
Trying to transplant across bikes with diffrent tyre sizes is a real pain, (if that's what you are trying to do) as the frame rails are the wrong spacing.
cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Panzer

There should be a separate board on here with the heading......."ASK ANDY".
That Andy is one sharp Aussy.
You're the man Andy, no kidding!!

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

fuzznut5197

jsachs1

Back when I built my '86 Sportster(cover of "Thunder Alley" magazine ,Jan. '95),I used a 160/60 X 18" rear tire,which fit under the stock rear fender.  :wink:
John

andyxlh

Hi Panzer, thanks a lot mate

Hi John,
Yes we recently fitted a 150 tyre on my mate's '88, it's a tight fit but it does just fit. Don't think we'd have got a 160 in that one though, it was that close! You must be real patient. Went to half size nuts and lost a few of the washers to make clearance. Having a chain drive gives a whole lot more space too as the wheel does not foul the side of the thicker belt and that wheel needs to be real centered to get clearance on his fender. Also difficult to get the wheels to run square on his bike - the chain was almost touching the tyre to run square with the front. He got the tyre cheap and didn't read the size - the time it took we should have just bought the right one!
Would love to see a pic of that bike, do you still have it? The early iron head sporties had 18" rear wheels I think,  but not sure which years. I like that look, but have got too much invested in rims, tyres and stainless spokes to go changin'...
A few wide tyre XLH out here have a real wide rear end and a much wider fender, but the rear frame struts have been cut and widened and a new swingarm manufactured. That looks good, but I'd imagine it would make them handle a bit like the new Rocker softail (i.e. not real flash IMO)
Cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

ricochet

Had the same question then saw this string.  I see late model rear fenders categorized as:   03 and under, 04 to 06, and 07 and above.  From what I gather here the 03 and under are maybe 7 1/2 wide while the 07 and above are 8 1/4 wide.  Anyone know for sure about the 04 to 06?  Anything else set these appart other than width?

ricochet

PC_Hater

I don't have exact dimensions but I do have a some useful info to add...

A friend bought a used 2004 Sportster and needed a rear rack for it. The new stuff for 2004-on was expensive, but I bought an old rear rack for a 2003 or whatever Dyna cheap. As in before Dynas got fatter tryes and fatter rear fenders too. The width was correct for the 2004 Sportster and only very minor bodging was required to bolt the rack on.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

ricochet

FYI, the fender I ended getting was from a 2004 sportster and measured 6-3/4 (6.75) in the inside at it's widest point.

ricochet