April 27, 2024, 01:34:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sport Trans Fluid no more

Started by 14Frisco, November 24, 2008, 05:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14Frisco

I changed the primary/tranny fluid on my 1993 XL yesterday and finished off the gallon container of Sport Trans Fluid I've had in the garage.  So what is the recommended liquid, and what is everyone using, now when Sport Trans Fluid is no longer made?

96roadking

What's this about, Sport Trans Fluid no more? Harley isn't going to be offering it any more, since when, first I heard of this.

14Frisco

Since quite a while back, a couple of years I believe.  I happened to come across a gallon container at the dealer quite some time ago but it is empty now.

Already running M1 15W-50 through the engine, it is the primary/tranny fluid I am curious what people are using.

andyxlh

As I understand it, Harley stopped making the special sport trans fluid about 3 or 4 years ago. at the same time they stopped making the different oil for the primary and tranmissions for the big twins engines too. They now make one oil for both the primary and transmissions on the BT, which is also recommended for the sportster engines too. Now the tricky bit - remembering the name of it - it has a silver label and I think it is called 'transmssion/chaincase lubricant'. anyway, if you go into a dealer it is about the same price as the old sport trans fluid and will be easy to find. I've been using it since it came out with no problems.
cheers
Andy
Sydney
www.youfreeweb.com/andysharleys
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Lawless

They call the "new" stuff formula plus

andyxlh

Ohh yea, the mind must be going - Formula + thats right!
Thanks
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Coasty

Quote from: 14Frisco on November 24, 2008, 05:18:30 PM
I changed the primary/tranny fluid on my 1993 XL yesterday and finished off the gallon container of Sport Trans Fluid I've had in the garage.  So what is the recommended liquid, and what is everyone using, now when Sport Trans Fluid is no longer made?

Use either SYN-3, Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50, Amsoil, (Spams Oil)
Coasty

Bakon

Formula Plus for tranny/primary in new Sporties.
wasting time

calif phil

You can still get Sportrans fld from Custom Chrome and Bikers Choice.  That is what I use.

Willie D

The old style trans. fluid was a 'Gear' lube, not jst 'Oil' so make the switch to any form of Gear lube, and I think you will find that the shifting is smoother and better clutch operation and finding neutral . I have been using M1 75-90 and have good success ! But I don't think it matters a whole lot which one you use. I jst found the Formula + to be to thin and when it warmed up wasn't adequate.

JMOH
'All gave some, Some gave All"

HDRDKG

Belray now makes a great synthetic fluid just for the Sportster primary/tranny. Shifts very smooth.

Caper

The SportTrans fluid was a 75-90 gear oil suitable for wet clutch applications. You can run a gear oil with the Limited Slip Differential  Additive(LSD) pack in it.