May 07, 2024, 01:51:04 AM

News:

Ironhead frame check

Started by ricochet, November 16, 2009, 11:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet

What's are some tips or the best way to check a 73 ironhead frame for being tweeked in some way without having access to a frame straightening table or jig?  I've been looking for obvious dings, dents or cracks from a hit but I know a tweek can come from a variety or sources.

ricochet

Lew

Tough to do.  Might use some string or small diameter wire to reference various points on the right side of the frame with related points on the left.  Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

pappyfreebird

run er down the road hard n fast n scream like a wild banshee,,ifn she stays in tune yer awright...mebee like lew sez n a couple two bys on the floor ta check wheels n site things,,but a ride is best test,,plus screamin like a wild banshee is good fer the spirit

ricochet

Yea,  I was thinking along those lines like;  Just put her all together and see what happens then just stick the bike between a couple mighty oaks and bend it back by pushing on it with the truck.  But then I'd like to check if possible before preping and painting the frame.  I'm ascared to ruin the chome on the truck.

ricochet

Lew

I'm ascared to ruin the chome on the truck.

Thats why I always use an old tire between the bumper and the bike frame.   :teeth:

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

saltcaveminer

a straitedge will help by measuring both sides of the frame rails etc. and comparing measurements.Salty

Pynzo

I was working at an AMF era dealership that lost it's franchise rights a few years back,and they had a stack of steel brackets on the parts shelf. I asked the owner what they were for and he said they were factory repair gussets for strengthening up the rear section of the '73 Sporty frames, because there had been some kind of recall for frame failure do to a change made to the frame design beginning that year. I'd check to see if these had been added. They had a frame table and all the jigs, the manual for this table was Knuck era and had no mention of K or XL frames. They would do a quick check on XL frame straightness by passing a long steel bar through the frame head, center it in the head,and eyeball the alignment of the bar with the frame rails.

ricochet

Back on Feb 5th 1973 I took delivery of a new Sportster and my old man got a new Dresser.  Mighty cold that day coming home but there was no hiding the woodies.

That ironhead was recalled a couple of months later for the recall you mention.  It's a brracket on each side of the frame to create a triangle to support the strut supports.  Back then I had never heard of a factory recall and was stunned at the thought.

ricochet

ricochet

Anyone know why there's a dent in the top frame tube right side about where the top motor mount bracket is?  I was suspect of the frame because of this and now see it on another 73 frame on ebay.  It looks to be pressed into the tube and even at an angle some.  It looks to be clearance for something.

I did do a bunch of checking for straightness using some steel tube through the neck, straight edges, strings and levels.  Seems all the mounts are in allignment and to the swingarm mounts.  Measurements compared to the manual hold true give or take. 

ricochet