April 27, 2024, 11:02:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

My 47 Knuckle bobber project

Started by poorbiker, November 24, 2008, 07:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poorbiker

Started my 47 knuckle bobber, EL stroked to 74". 35 degree in neck with 2-1/4" in down tubes. 16" rear and front with same size tires, triumh rear fender. 2" over HD springer. Its a start....

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
"Effort takes no talent"

CraigArizona85248

Nice!  Sounds like a fun project.  Keep us updated with lots of pics as the build progresses.

-Craig

servi53

love that polished aluminum, looks like a great start. George

stroker800

Hell !!!!  thats an excellent start for a project...If it wears you down,,,I have extra space at my place...Keep us poste with pics,,,Good Job!!!

Dave

poorbiker

Well, when I bought this motor it was already in a running bike, so to speak. I bought bike for engine and trans, got a good deal. I rode bike just around block then pulled it apart and sold the rest. Frame was a butchered Pan frame, 60s,  I started cleaning the black paint off the engine, guess what, the left front mount was broke/repaired, not a bad job all in all, but I could tell recent. Rest of engine cases look real good. Put engine in my new frame and added temp spacers in the front, then it dawned on me, the guy I bought it from said that he had had a hell of a time with the front mount, I thought he meant the frame, he didnt. I looked over at the old frame and guess what, no spacer was installed, he had just bolted it down, causing I`m guessing the mount to crack and break, go figure.

"Effort takes no talent"

poorbiker

one more pic

"Effort takes no talent"

poorbiker

I talked to Creekside Welding about repairing to original my left front motor mount, seems resonable and his work looks great, but he is 6-8 weeks out.
Mount repair was desent just needs to be matched and decked, might try and do it myself. Have to make time to get bottom end to Truett & Osborne also.
"Effort takes no talent"

Ultrashovel

December 03, 2008, 07:35:06 PM #7 Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:19:59 PM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: poorbiker on November 25, 2008, 09:27:04 PM
Well, when I bought this motor it was already in a running bike, so to speak. I bought bike for engine and trans, got a good deal. I rode bike just around block then pulled it apart and sold the rest. Frame was a butchered Pan frame, 60s,  I started cleaning the black paint off the engine, guess what, the left front mount was broke/repaired, not a bad job all in all, but I could tell recent. Rest of engine cases look real good. Put engine in my new frame and added temp spacers in the front, then it dawned on me, the guy I bought it from said that he had had a hell of a time with the front mount, I thought he meant the frame, he didnt. I looked over at the old frame and guess what, no spacer was installed, he had just bolted it down, causing I`m guessing the mount to crack and break, go figure.

Many years ago, I had a 1946 FL. The front downtube broke on the right side just above the sidecar lug. No one would weld it for me brcause they thought it wouldn't hold so I found a 1951 Panhead frame and tube forks from a fellow in my club. When I installed the engine, I could see that the mounts didn't line up. The motor leaned forward a bit and there was gap under the rear part of both the front and rear mounts.

I went to the dealer and he sold me a stock (Knucklehead to Panhead) Harley front mount spacer. It was wider than the two bolt holes and about an inch wide and 3/8" thick IIRC. With that spacer, the engine lined up perfectly. Harley was aware that people would be mixing and matching parts so they came up with the spacer. I think the Panhead had a thicker front mount section. I can't imagine someone not seeing the problem when installing a Kuncklehead engine in a later frame but I guess that some folks didn't see it.

As to Knucklehead front mounts, it was very common for the left-front mount to crack around the bolt hole. They would vibrate quite a bit and when the bolts got loose, it would hammer the left mount. When mine broke, I took the crankcase to a truck machine shop and a fellow torch-welded it for me and did a great job. A little work with a file and an electric drill and I was back on the road.

It looks like you're doing a nice job.  :up:

Happy Trails

Pan Mike

Poorbiker, that is one sweet, clean project you got there.

The attention to detail is fabulous. Keep posting on the progress!

Pan Mike in Northern Cal
Pan Mike

poorbiker

More pics, front end on. Front forks are from Flatland, the FMC made forks, cant believe how exact they are. Sad thing is I got the last digit wrong and ordered a +2 when I needed a +4". didnt catch my mistake untill to late. Ordered correct forks, last in stock. They just arent shipping them out of Sweden cause of the economy. Did not want to pay for return shipping and a restocking fee so I might keep forks for a future project, or e-bay them. What a stupid mistake, cut twice measure once? lol

"Effort takes no talent"

stroker800

I might have to build a "digger" style bobber now...aint got no knuck,,,,so a shovel will have to do...good lookin bike!!!
keep the pics comin
Dave

ricochet

Them there Knucks are a pretty motor, aren't they?  Nice job.  Keep the pics coming.

ricochet

chris haynes

Quote from: poorbiker on November 24, 2008, 07:18:30 PM
Started my 47 knuckle bobber, EL stroked to 74". 35 degree in neck with 2-1/4" in down tubes.

Typically, Bobbers don't have modified frames.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

poorbiker

Maybe, but it doesnt really come under the heading of chopper either. Most of the guys doing it back then just stripped stuff off, but some did get a few frame mods. Have had both, standard kinda of bobber and a full on chopper. Maybe its a twener..............................
"Effort takes no talent"

4DWUDS

I don't think we should start calling them "Boppers". What ever you want to call it is fine with me, I will just call it Nice Lookin.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

stroker800

Great ,,,we're being "policed" again on our HD lingo..Its your bike ,,,,build it how you want and call it want you want. Its agreat start to project.
Dave

ricochet

Poorbiker,  your bike sounded like mine when I bought it.  It was also a 47 EL and would start and run down the road but it was clear the day I took ownership that it was a rolling basket.  Came apart the same week I got it.  Regardless, it has been with me for 25 years even if it is chopped. 

Keep up the good work,

ricochet

poorbiker

Well some time has gone by, been busy. Back on project!! Bought motor off of ebay, there you go, should have known better. Dude said of course that engine was proff. and recently rebuilt. Its an EL, stroked to 74", 8.5" flywheels and jims shafts, new pistons so on and so on. Did start and did sound good. Still, it was bothering me not knowing for sure what was inside. Pulled motor out and tore it down, checking everything. Split cases and ta da. check out pics. Maybe 200 miles on this motor. Does have Jims shafts but thats about it for the story. Either did not know what "they" were doing or worse. Must have caught me in a rare mode, I was like, whatever, I`ll fix it right and have piece of mind. Probably saved my cases....Cases are in very very good shape...

"Effort takes no talent"

poorbiker

more pics, check out the crack in exhaust port and the cyl. and pistons....

"Effort takes no talent"

chris haynes

Quote from: Ultrashovel on December 03, 2008, 07:35:06 PM
Quote from: poorbiker on November 25, 2008, 09:27:04 PM

I went to the dealer and he sold me a stock (Knucklehead to Panhead) Harley front mount spacer. It was wider than the two bolt holes and about an inch wide and 3/8" thick IIRC. With that spacer, the engine lined up perfectly. Harley was aware that people would be mixing and matching parts so they came up with the spacer. I think the Panhead had a thicker front mount section. I can't imagine someone not seeing the problem when installing a Kuncklehead engine in a later frame but I guess that some folks didn't see it.

Actually that spacer was made for the 1948 UL models. The 1948 UL used the new Panhead frame but didn't redesign the cases so the spacer was needed to make things right. It is part number 24795-48.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

Ultrashovel

April 18, 2009, 03:52:59 PM #20 Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:37:44 PM by Ultrashovel
As mentioned, the spacer fit my 1946 Knucklehead front engine mounts when mounted in a 1951 Panhead frame. It's quite likely that the adapter plate was built for the 1948 Flathead. I would guess that HD knew that they weren't going to modernize the flathead engines and they needed to fit the 1948 frames.

The Knuckleheads and Flatheads shared the same mounts so it's lucky that the adapter could also be used for early to late OHV adaptations. When I was a kid, I knew of others who had the later Hydraglide frames with pre 1948 engines. Don't ask me where they got the newer frames....ahem.

poorbiker

heres a pic of my recently overhauled heads, new seats, guides, valves and sportster spring kit, note the clearence around the tins. I`ve used them before, they work great on Knuckles. Its coming togeather, for those interested, 140 lbs closed. few snags on project as always. as always, $ and time.  Dave

"Effort takes no talent"

ricochet

That is good clearance with the sportster springs.  I'm thinking that's what I'll have with the spring kit from Leineweber.  It looks about the same.  Probably is.

ricochet

Robin

Hey What tranny are you using?
Robin

poorbiker

An early sixties ratchet, had it sitin around already rebuilt and ready to go, was painted black but will bead blast and leave in the raw.
"Effort takes no talent"