May 09, 2024, 02:58:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1974 FXE Shovel Head

Started by Reddog74usa, November 20, 2009, 02:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I found a very nice 74 FXE bone stock unmolested with 11k original miles on it and was wondering what a fair price would be on it. This bike is completely oem with the exception of the new tires that are on it. It has just had a basically 10k service done with new primary and rear chains installed, new tires, wheel bearings serviced with new seals, carb rebuilt along with new oem front and rear brake hoses and new oem seat. bike runs perfect. paint is original (blue). even the inside of the gas tank is nice as it was stored with a full tank. it's a bit dirty but not rusted at all with no oil leaks. Also the tappet block and push rod tube seals n gaskets have been replaced. All this work has been done by a very experienced long time dealer tech. This bike basically needs nothing other than a good detailing and is ready to ride. i can buy it for 7K, is this a fair price? Seller is an old friend so I don't want to steal it  or cheat myself and am just looking for a fair value on  the bike. Thanks, RD 
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

dave_9113

That is a fair price for what you described.  I always look at the total cost, meaning tax, tag, etc...  Having said that, $6.5K would not be bad, and not cheating anyone either way.

Lew

Sounds like a nice scoot for the money!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

bigbearkiller

Sounds real good,Own it for 10 years ride/maintain it, sell it for what you have in it(if you can).

rbonner

November 20, 2009, 06:05:53 PM #4 Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:09:55 PM by rbonner
I would love to buy and sell FXE's for 7K all day, but I just don't see that sort of value in them.

There's a 71 Boatail on eBay right now that's tipped better than 12K.  I'm restoring this 79 FXEF knowing that its day in and day out stockers trading at $5500.  I'm going to have $20K in it, probably could get $10-12K if I really worked before putting miles on it.

Now I'm not looking at this bike and there's no closeup photos.  But especially for an FXE, not a 77 FXS or 79 FXEF-80 or anything substantial or notable, like an 80 FXB.  $7K is pretty standup and I would expect a perfect specimin for that price.  If it is stellar, buy it and insure it heavily.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

Porkys_Son

Man...I paid $2700 for a '75 FXE.

Does it matter that it was in 1977?

Yep, I still have it.

I say, buy it and don't look back.

rbonner

Yeah RD, don't get me wrong on my post.  If you see on some auto trader or eBay any of those shovels they all sell for about $5500.  Do research.  However, any vintage bike is worth what SOMEBODY is willing to pay for it.  That might even be $20K.  But 11,000 miles if it is the true miles is very righteous.  If she's really clean and not rusty around the edges, paint faded, etc...  You have probably got a very well maintained unit.

$7K is not out of line if it is a pristine example of an FXE.  I have seen some that were worthy, it's just NOT the common find.  If the most the bike needs is a squirt of S-100 and a car wash, hey that's major cool.

I just don't want anybody missunderstanding my post.  The bike is worth what YOU think it is worth in the end.

BOB

Reddog74usa

November 21, 2009, 07:03:18 AM #7 Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:33:21 AM by Reddog74usa
Bob, Thanks for your replies. I have been out of the shovels since about 1988 and have mostly ben messin with Pans, evo's n Tc's. Not cause I don't like shovels it's just that I really haven't ben running across any real nice one's for a while. With all the Harleys I have ever owned nothin sounds like a shovel head and that's just the plain truth. As you said this one is not the normal find. It was stored for many years so the aluminum has that gray look to it, not with the white powder just gray as hell. there's no flaking chrome or rust on the wheels but the spokes have that gray look to them. I have been around these bikes all my life and am not new to the shovels at all and can tell you this one is a 99 out of a 100 for originality. The paint is in great shape with a few very small scratches, and is that medium blue color with the decals in perfect condition. Heck, it still has the correct spring with the rubber gromet holding the back of the gas tank down with the throttle and clutch cables still original also. Even has the bendix carb with the oem air cleaner and stock exhaust with a set of era correct slip on muffs that look like a regular muff but has about a 4 inch piece of straight pipe off the back of it. He called the 117's or something like that. I know what you mean when you say there are FXE's going for 5500 all day long on ebay but this bike is definitly not your common find as most of them have been messed with, changed and hacked. This 74 FXE is a rare garage find that was well maintained and kept stock. As you can tell, I'm very excited and interested in this bike as you don't see them like this much, if at all, and just wanted to post this in the shovel section to get some opinions on the value of a bike like this. Not to resell but to get an idea on what would be a fair price I should pay for the bike so that if I say, lost my job, and had to sell the bike I could get my money back out of it. Didn't take your post the wrong way at all n thanks for the info so far. Keep em comin  :up:

Heres some pics:

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

HotRodShovel

Man, that is clean. What a find!!!!! I would give my right arm and 6,000.00 for that :wink: Its a clean machine brother.  Get it. You won't regret it.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Lew

WoW!!  Looks like a nice scoot for the money too!  I'd try hard to get that one.  Being in that condition is everything to the value.  Being it's not hacked makes it special...IMO.  You won't find another like that anytime soon and not at that price either.  You would invest a ton of time and money trying to get the average FX back to the condition that one is in.  Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Sonny S.

Rd,
      Man that is one fine lookin scooter !!   :smilep:
As for what it's worth, well, IMHO that might be one of those things that end up being....what's it worth to you. It's not everyday that you come across an unmolested scooter like that.... under 7K. Offer him $6,500 ...he has a choice to say yes or no.
Do you get to go to the DMV Christmas Party ?  :wink:

Pynzo

That's a nice bike-  if you want to see some great shots of that bike as new find a copy of the September '74 Penthouse, and buy that bike! $7k or less is unbelievable. I came across an unmolested '76 FXE for sale a decade ago, and before I could get my funds together, the Bike Shop was gone! Owner died and everything he owned went to pay off creditors.

rbonner

RD, you were mentioning the greying of the aluminum.  Bare aluminum does that, there's nothing you can do to stop it; It's aluminum oxide (ALUMINUM RUST)  You can polish ad keep up with it...

That's EXACTLY what my lowers looked like.

I'm going to go and take a photo of mine, just reassembled them a couple days ago after getting them back from the polisher.  It does turn the bike into high maintenance as you'll have to polish the parts every couple years if you want them to stay that way...  I'll attach pics... Stand by.

There's several parts that respond well.  Rocker boxes, brake calipers, fork lowers;  they will really set the bike off and still be stock...

76shuvlinoff

I would hate that bike, I'd be too afraid to mess with it!  Nice Find!  Do the maint, detail it and ride.

As far as what it's worth, that depends on your own pain theshold. When I bought my FLH I paid more than I should have for a mediocre bike but not nearly what I've put into it tinkering for the last 16 years and that doesn't begin to count my sweat equity.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pappyfreebird

noice...stealin 45-5500 that shape..fair 55-6500..good price (in these times ) 7k..again as many say its up to you..twinkies kin be had fer 65 right now 12k on them..but then there nawt a ols cool shovel eithar..round my parts its as above..friend n all etc 6 id be real cool wid n feel comfy fer resale should hafta..jmo  the paps

amf 71flh

Hey Dog, that bike is better than money in the bank, and lots more fun to ride. Bought my 76 FX years ago and spent that much. See if you can find the correct mufflers, that would really set this bike apart. I have them on the 76, check the pics.

Ron

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

HotRodShovel

Ron, Sweet bike. I never fancied myself much of an FX guy. I have always had a passion for the FL's but after looking at yours and Reddog's, well I could stand to have one in the garage. Its is nice, good luck and ride safe with that.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

dablaze

I would pick that up in an instant if it were offered to me. I kind of agree with Pappys price assessments, but I would pay the extra if I had to just cause I would want it.

Congrats on a nice find!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

bigbearkiller

74/74.......BUY! BUY! Never paint or toss the parts.Go to shovelheadusa.com post a pic,ask for Al to give his opinion.  

bigbearkiller

AMF 71FLH.........I own a 76 fxe....the correct pipes have a crossover behind the kicker and a megaphone shaped end,They are rare because they ran like poopy!A lot of new take off's for staight pipes in the day.

hightop

Looks nice, but I must be gettin' senile! I thought '75 was the first year for the "E". What year did they start puttin' the button on them?

amf 71flh

big  bear killer- In the early, mid 70's, dealers on the east coast could order bikes with different factory mufflers. Most 2 into 1 set-ups went to the west coast. Yes, 76 Superglides had the ugly mufflers, but my machine came through just like you see it.

Ron

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

bigbearkiller

I'll stand corrected......Thank You.Remember AMC ?Part salads.

JamLazyAss

Take a look at the right side forward peg and see how it is mounted to the frame.
They didn't have a mount welded on the frame to accept one back then.
Sometimes guys drilled a hole thru the frame.
NOT that it matters, just pointing out a memory before I lose it...  :soda:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

rbonner

Quote from: hightop on November 22, 2009, 10:52:12 AM
Looks nice, but I must be gettin' senile! I thought '75 was the first year for the "E". What year did they start puttin' the button on them?

Harley invented electric start for FX's in 1974...  First year; and sales zoomed.  Varoom!

BOB