April 27, 2024, 11:22:03 AM

News:

1996 road king efi to carb conversion

Started by john b, November 25, 2008, 01:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john b

Hi looking for help to convert my ride to carb what parts and directions to do it thanks john

Big Steve 63

Thanks Scott.  I am in the process putting a carbed engine in a bike that came Evo EFI.  This info comes in handy right about now.
Thanks
Steve

vegaspete61

I just finished converting my 97 Classic. Here's what I did:
Bought from ebay: stock ignition module, stock coil, stock voes, stock intake manifold, cv carb, Pingle tank conversion kit and petcock.
Bought from Chicago Harley: Ignition rotor, intake seals, ignition module & voes deutch connectors & pins, spark plugs, spark plug wires, throttle cables, parts to rebuild carb.

The old fuel injection parts come off very easily. I removed all of the FI parts. The ignition module fits in the stock location once the ecm and it's mounting bracket are removed. I used the FI wiring harness to fab an ignition harness because the ignition harness for a 97 is obsolete from Harley. I had to add the 2 wires that go to the voes so their colors are the only ones that do not match the original wiring diagram. All of this work is very straight forward if you have the service and parts manual. The most difficult part of the conversion is modifying the fuel tank. First I removed the fuel pump and fuel filter. Next were the check valves. To remove the check valves I drilled them and used an easy out to remove them, then I kept drilling out the bung using progressively larger bits until I went as large as I could to allow the pingle petcock to fit.(purging or otherwise venting the fumes from the tank are a good idea before making heat or sparks). My 97 had steel fuel lines and brazed-in fittings inside the tank so out came the Dremel. Using patience and a lot of cutoff wheels I nibbled the fitting inside the tank down to about a half inch so I could use as much of the fuel in the tank as possible. I've been riding it for a couple of weeks or so and couldn't be happier with the results. I'm still tweaking the carb but it's getting there.

Tips: when changing ignition rotor, use the slotted holes to reattach the cam sensor, the timing will need to be adjusted. Don't install a used carb with out rebuilding it.
        Buy the horn & choke bracket, I didn't and regret it.

Keep us posted on your conversion.

Big Steve 63

I am in the process of installing a 120" Ultima (with 45mm Mikuni carb) in my 98 FLHTCI.  What length of throttle cables will i need?  Will stock length work?
Thanks
Steve