May 01, 2024, 10:16:08 PM

News:

Exhaust smoke -79

Started by xlfan, November 21, 2009, 05:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

Excessive exhaust smoke, tends to lessen when engine gets hotter. -79 1000 XL. I guess sumping can cause this? Would one culprit be oil pump check valve?  Is it possible for worn piston rings and/or worn valves/valve guides to smoke less after engine gets hotter? Maybe due to xpansion? Anyone experienced this kind of smoking?

xlfan

pappyfreebird

thats a good ?  xmayun....seems itd be oil in the pipes that smokes as heats then dries (that sound like what ya mean)..has that aon a few jap bikes ive bought n sold..there valve stem arears have a lil dip n would stsy filled (thats way desinged helps dry starts) n would be seal..but on a hog engine,,again good ?  sumpin she should jus puke it,,is it mo so on idle n lettin off er when in the power..to me power is rings idle is guides er seal,,all the time mmmm good ? sarry i ain no fuggan help at all am i..be innerestin ta see the end result  paps..this ol 76 i have will puff on let off er idle when jus warmin up,,but after warm then she clean up ..no seals in a 76 thou

wreck74

Smoke at start up then going away = valve stem seals or badly worn valve guides. Smokeing alot at start up then subsideing to a light smoke is Rings and valve guides/seals. It's easy to tell with a leak down test or a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder trick.

olpigiron

Something Comes To Mind,
If Your Going Down A Incline, Back The Throttle All The Way Off,
             Let The Bike Coast For A Ways,
          Then Crack the Throttle Open Again,
   If It Smokes, It Is Your Top End (valve guides,Seals).
I Can't Remember Where I Heard This?   Hope It Helps!!!
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

pappyfreebird

high vacuem smoke is valve guides seals er all..puffin whilst on her is blow by rings er score

xlfan

Thanks guys  :up:
It sounds that I can rule out oil pump problems.
I'll try and get some more info about the engine, but it is sadly out of the bike so I have missed the possibility of running it to see for myself.

xlfan