April 27, 2024, 09:17:22 AM

News:

Help with thread size?

Started by Tow-Truck, November 25, 2008, 03:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tow-Truck

Hi All
I'm gathering parts for my freshen up and outside oiler conversion. I have the fitting that goes into the cam chest cover, it is a ninety degree bend with a thread on each end. The thread going upto the oil lines is an 1/8 NPT but the one going into the cover is a mystery to me. It is a tapered thread a tiny bit less than 3/8 in diameter and around 25 tpi (I've only got metric thread stuff here so the tpi is only approx.). I need to tap my cover for this so I need to know what size tap to buy, (we don't even use NPT here in England). I assume that the cover will be suitable for this modification?

62pan

Rather than modifying the cam cover, why not use where the oil pressure switch comes out of the oil pump? If you want to run a gauge or the idiot light you can just use a tee fitting. The cam cover certainly be used to oil the top end (they did it on Knuckleheads), but I would hesitate to drill extra holes in an original part.

The size that you have is probably 1/4" pipe, that is the size that was used on Knuckleheads.

Purplepandan

I am not 100% sure, but I think you need a 1965 cam cover to do that. You should probably do as suggested and come off of the oil pump. I have also done that mod using a Knuckle Cam Cover to oil '65 heads, but it was with an earlier bottom end.

Hal64hd

Quote from: Purplepandan on November 25, 2008, 06:39:09 AM
I am not 100% sure, but I think you need a 1965 cam cover to do that. You should probably do as suggested and come off of the oil pump. I have also done that mod using a Knuckle Cam Cover to oil '65 heads, but it was with an earlier bottom end.

Actually the cam cover from 63-65 used the outside oiler