May 02, 2024, 03:20:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Polishing Fin Edges

Started by Billy, November 25, 2008, 06:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

I have some extra time and an old pair of cyls and heads given to me so they can be a sacrificial experiment. The edges as you can imagine were grimy, oxidized, nicked and pitted. I have them cleaned up good and have the edges restored to a nice 800 wet or dry finish but I want a high luster polished finish.

I'm thinking of ordering some felt bobs to go in my die grinder and using some tripoli compound to achieve the finish I want. Has anyone tried this? How hard is it to clean the excess compound off of the powder coating when done? Better ideas?  :idea:

TIA
Billy
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Flat Dog

Personally I just sand them. Have to be done again from time to time around the salt water here, but it's easy enough.

Cleaning up all of that flung around compound between the fins will take all weekend, unless you try a carefully aimed pressure washer. Still gonna be a mess...

Billy

Yea John, they don't look too bad after sanding with the 800 wet or dry, but I'm experimenting so I'll go forward with polishing one of the cyls and see what happens. If I frag it up it's no big loss. I wonder if brake cleaner will wash off the compound?

CndUltra88

Why not place a towel between the fins...you know on edge and pulled into the groove so to speak.
Might be a little more work, but easier on the clean up.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Mike52

Quote from: Billy on November 25, 2008, 06:56:48 AMI'm thinking of ordering some felt bobs to go in my die grinder and using some tripoli compound to achieve the finish I want. Has anyone tried this? How hard is it to clean the excess compound off of the powder coating when done? Better ideas?  :idea:

Billy, I used the 3" fine grade 3-M Scotch-Brite pads on a die grinder to knock down the machining 'ripples' on the fins and really smooth them up, then used cloth wheels on my bench grinder for the final polishing with the compounds, don't overload the cloth wheel with too much compound. A clean stitched soft cloth wheel was used for the final buffing. Mine turned out looking great with a chrome like edge. Good luck. 

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Billy

Rob, thanks, good idea, it sure couldn't hurt.

Mike, thanks. Which compound did you use? What did you use to clean off any residual compound?

Mike52

Billy, mine were done 4-5 years ago, I didn't use a Tripoli stick compound or any of the other sticks (I tried them but it didn't work to well), I used Mothers Aluminum polish on the cloth wheel (now I would use Meguiars Tech Aluminum polish). The stick compounds seem to have a wax in them, this is what builds up on the powder coating. With the Mothers or Meguiars, you can clean the residue with WD-40 and a toothbrush. Good luck polishing.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Billy

I'll give it a shot. Thanks Mike.