eBay and the dreaded PayPal requirement . . .

Started by JamLazyAss, November 25, 2008, 07:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBSKEAM

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

JamLazyAss

Ok. Now that I ate 20 lb's of yardbird....

I applied for (And was approved) for a PayPal card. They gave me X amount of buying dollars.
Now, do they mail me a credit/debit card? I know I can use it for transactions now, but I never saw any mention of receiving a card.

Can anyone help to clarify?
Thank's.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

BarnabyWild

l buy and sell and use paypal for it all, it's so much easier than waiting around for payments by other methods. To me it's the only way to go. :smile:
BarnabyWild

blk-betty

Jam,

I may be confused about what your asking but just to clarify- You don't need a Paypal specific credit card to buy on sell on Paypal.  Any major credit card will work fine.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

JamLazyAss

I do currently have a cc that I've used for paypal.

But I did apply for a Paypal card.
Just not sure if I should be expecting to receive a physical card, or if it's just electronic  :smilep:

HIPPO

I got a physical debit card, so it follows that a CC would be physical.

The DC is great because it bypasses the withdrawal limit, if you ever get in a position to do so.

JamLazyAss

Ok, so I guess I can expect to be receiving a dc in the future.
Thanks Hip.
Arizona huh?
38 degree's with mud and snow in central New York State.
56 years old and I've never been west of Buffaol NY  :hyst:

python33

Be careful of the scams with PayPal. Phony webpages showing payment are a big problem for Ebay Craigslist etc. Always double check you account by logging in yourself before shipping.

python33

Faast Ed

QuoteI put in my listings, "Contact the seller for other payment options". Then when you get an interested buyer who contacts you, you can tell them Personal Check, Money Orders, Cashiers Check, Cash, or whatever. I also put in "Paypal users must contact the seller first". Then when they do, I tell them that I am adding 2% (or whatever the fee is) on top of the price to make up for what Paypal takes out. This may incline them to use another form of payment.

That is all good, if you don't mind cutting out a whole bunch of interested buyers, leaving less of them available to bid up the price of your product.

Perhaps finding another way to sell would be more appropriate, Ebay might not be your answer.
≡Faast Ed>

Dakota

Experience is something you get right after you needed it.

hrlydv

I once lost $550 on EBay----sent a money order and never received the merchandise. At least with Paypal I have some recourse.
Let's go RIDING!

guitar sam

i only buy on ebay, but i only use paypal.  bought a motorcycle seat, and forgot to see that the seller would only take a money order.  had to go to the post office during the day while i worked.  payed for the money order, then waited for him to get it.  no more

gs

apes

I sent a large chromer in So Cal Polish some rotors and it was taking them months and months to get it done.   Finally they sent me a Pay Pal invoice and  think that my rotors were finally done I pain immediately....4 weeks later I had not received the rotors.  I contacted Pay Pal through their grievance process and complained and the polisher sent my rotors within days.  I suspect if a company wants to continue to use PP as part of their business then they have to be reputable and not cause issues if  PP is used as an avenue for payment.  In this case PP got them to send me my rotors.  Convenience has a price, that is capitolism.  The best deal going is Craigs list but I suspect as soon as they sell it to someone, there will be a charge added....if it were me, I'd do it

Ken R

January 09, 2009, 04:26:14 PM #39 Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:38:47 PM by Ken R
Well, I tried my first eBay listing of the year.  Found that eBay only wants commercial sellers now.  They don't want common folk selling stuff out of their garage any more. 

They now REQUIRE electronic payment by PayPal. 

Furthermore, PayPal will hold your funds for 21 days unless you get a positive feedback from the buyer.  Then, they only hold for 3 days.  (I think I'm reading their new terms correctly).

So eBay is now out unless you have a business and can stand the 21-day hold on your money and don't mind paying 3%+ credit card fee. 

I own eBay stock, it's taken a beating in the past 18 months.  I was hoping for a recovery; but now I hope enough businesses continue to advertise to keep eBay viable.   I think there's room for similar competition now.  In the meantime, I'm going to Craiglist.

Ken