May 03, 2024, 11:52:30 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Make 2 into 1 out of stock pipes ???

Started by sandrooney, November 25, 2008, 08:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

Anybody ever make 2 into 1 pipes out of the stock headers ? Wonder how performance would be ?
Thanks,
SR 
Patience is such a waste of time .

frydaddy96

I think the export ones are a psuedo 2-1.  I read in one of the HD technical sheets that the HDI models have a valve in the left pipe that closes off as the engine is put under a load.  Can't find the file right now.  If you wanted to try it, pull the left muffler and put a plug in the pipe and see what happens.  May need to open up the right muffler a little bit though.

Frydaddy

Faast Ed

Wouldn't be a good test without a tune. 
That rear cylinder is mapped so different from the front because of the original style.

And the pipe would still be different than a traditional 2 into 1, because a good 2 into 1 is usually equal legth to each cylinder, and often "stepped" to improve performance.
In your case, the front cylinder would have a longer pipe than the rear.

Might be a fun experiment anyway.
≡Faast Ed>

Mike52

Quote from: Faast Ed on November 25, 2008, 05:52:49 PM
Wouldn't be a good test without a tune. 
That rear cylinder is mapped so different from the front because of the original style.

And the pipe would still be different than a traditional 2 into 1, because a good 2 into 1 is usually equal legth to each cylinder, and often "stepped" to improve performance.
In your case, the front cylinder would have a longer pipe than the rear.

Might be a fun experiment anyway.

And on a good 2-1, the collector design (where the 2 pipes merge) plays an important part.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Golfman

Equal length is only a good thing if it is the CORRECT length for the rpm band that you are tuning for.
Actually the new 2009 Touring pipes are a 2 into 1 into 2; and, while not a performance 2 into 1, they should have SOME of the cyl. to cyl. scavenging affect that was missing in previous stock pipes.
I was noticing that some of the 2 into 1 stepped pipes start at 1 7/8". For power below 100 hp, I would think a 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" to 2 " of the correct length with a slightly longer merging collector into a less pronounced megaphone exit (less change in dia from start to exit) would be interesting tp try.
One thing I noticed with stepped pipes on auto race engines on the dyno is that they required that you lean the carb. more than for their non stepped brethren. Because they were more efficient, they were pulling more gas into the mixture, and didn't show the extra power until the carb (or injector) was leaned a bit.
Golfman (Dave)

CrazyRay

Yeah, I did it and I'm still running my "factory road king two into one pipes" now. My why? pipe cracked so many times, weld after weld I said screw it. I "finished" the crack myself and ended up with a hole about 1" by 1.5". Then cut the short piece off the Y and cut it long ways. Wrapped it around the hole and welded it on. Been holding pretty good so far, about 6k miles. It runs good, but my bike is a stock '99 so it's not exactly a tire burner anyway.

Ray

sandrooney

Thanks Guys.It's actually on a 95 RK , I put it on the EVO site and wasn't getting any response so thought I would try it here.I figured it didn't matter what it was on, just wanted to see if anybody ever did it.Thanks,SR
Patience is such a waste of time .