May 01, 2024, 10:40:19 PM

News:

What the fork?

Started by Dennis The Menace, November 25, 2008, 09:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis The Menace

November 25, 2008, 09:36:01 AM Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:42:42 AM by Dennis The Menace
I have been battling a fork adjustment issue all damn year, and need some guesses/thoughts as to what might be going on.

07 RG, 15K miles, adjusted swingby 3 times since July this year.  Lately it feels loose again, and yesterday when I started out, I had the bars turned full lock to the right, and could feel some slop like the things were going to collapse, as I let out the clutch.  I can rock teh forks back and forth.

It really feels like the forks are loose in the neck, but they arent (I dont think).  I checked the swingby, and its actually a little too tight.

I can replicate this everytime I try to do this.    WTF?   Bearings need to be replaced?  Something worse?

Dennis

JBarrettB

Just a thought here,... When you loosen the lower pinch bolts have you made sure that the fork tube are free to move? I would suggest that you loosen the stem nut considerably and then knock the stem downward. This will not only free the lower bearing but free the tubes as well. Once you are sure the tubes are free and the stem overly loose, tighten the stem adjuster nut bringing the head back into the three swing spec. Hope this helps.

JB   
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

PC_Hater

If you can rock the forks back and forth the steering head bearings are too loose.
The official HD method of setting the bearings is ridiculous.
Loosen the lower pinch bolts so the forks can move through the bottom tree.
Tighten the stem nut until the forks a slightly too tight when moved right to left.
Loosen off a bit.
Make sure there is no back and forth movement.
Tighten the pinch bolts etc.
Ride the bike and see how the steering feels.
Over time you will get a feel for how tight is tight on the stem nut.
Or, if you prefer, try this, from Motorcycle Tuning - Chassis by John Robinson, 2nd Edition p26
"Tighten the adjuster until the steering is just free to move under its' own weight, with no detectable play."
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Dennis The Menace

Thank you, gentlemen...I have a new project this weekend.  I will try it out and see what results.

Menace