May 09, 2024, 06:40:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1 tooth bigger motor sprocket?

Started by harleytoprock, November 25, 2009, 03:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytoprock

Can you increase the motor sprocket by one tooth and still have enough slack in the primary chain to adjust? I'm trying to avoid changing the clutch hub one tooth down. Just looking for a tiny bit more cruise. FXR with 3.37. Thanks

moosemush

I tried it and I thought it was gonna work until I tightened up the compensator bolt and the chain tightened up stiff. Might work if you had an old primary chain that has been stretched a bit but I wouldn't want to run it like that. Best to go up 1 or 2 teeth on the trans pulley. The belt will still fit.

smittyon66

:agree:
I've run a 34 tooth trans sprocket on an FXR with the stock belt. Another big plus is that it was an Andrews sprocket and was steel.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

Buddy WMC

November 25, 2009, 04:52:28 PM #3 Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:54:29 PM by Buddy WMC
I was going to stay out this one, but this subject is discussed in detail in Tim's (Classic Riders), FXR section. Wound up installing a Baker DD6 in mine, problem solved, plus alot more benefits  :teeth:.

harleytoprock

Thanks for the replies!
Moosemush, With the one larger tooth sprocket, was the adjusting shoe resting against the chain? Or was it so tight it didn't even touch the shoe. Do you think it would have worked if you could modify a chain adjuster so that the shoe was lower?

Buddy, What sprockets and pulleys did you end up with with the DD6? Does that Baker shift nice?

wfolarry

You cannot go up 1 tooth & get a chain to fit. Forget it.

Buddy WMC

Quote from: harleytoprock on November 25, 2009, 06:02:23 PM
Thanks for the replies!
Moosemush, With the one larger tooth sprocket, was the adjusting shoe resting against the chain? Or was it so tight it didn't even touch the shoe. Do you think it would have worked if you could modify a chain adjuster so that the shoe was lower?

Buddy, What sprockets and pulleys did you end up with with the DD6? Does that Baker shift nice?

If I recall correctly, Baker shipped either a 25 or 26T engine sprocket along with a two pin longer (78) link primary chain and 32T trans pulley with the kit. Mine is a 93 and still uses the 37T clutch basket and 70T rear pulley. There are more details on their website about the available gear ratios and the tech folks there can help with any questions you may have. The transmission shifts like butter, neutral is easy to find and the trans is quiet. Due to the hotter temps down here, been using Mobil 1 75-140 MS gear oil available at Autozone.