May 01, 2024, 05:04:11 PM

News:

Tranny case damage

Started by ricochet, November 30, 2009, 08:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet

Can anyone identify the use of this cast section that's broke off of the inside top in the transmission right case section?  It appears to have formed a recess of sorts but I can't tell what for or if it's critical to the trans functioning correctly.

ricochet

eglideic

To me it looks like it's just for the bolt that holds your cases together.

ricochet

I thought the same and was going to ignore it but it's a weird shape when in tact like it forms a recess for something.  It would be milled on the left side about half way down and that appears to be releif for gear clearance.  Almost looks like a boss or base for a spring or some such.  Or a well to collect and spread splashing oil.  I've got another right case and will look more closely at that area for signs of something resting or rubbing in there.   ?????????

Thanks,

ricochet

ricochet

OK, got it figured out.  Looking at another case I can see a passage drilled from that area to the mainshaft bearing for oil.  So this creates a pocket for oil to gather to run down that passage.  These cases were damaged from what looked like a gearbox explosion as this section was broken off and there were cracks in the rear wall of the tranny case from a blow internally.  I wonder just what happened.

Anyhow,  rather than having this area subjected to more heat I'm considering making a aluminum dam to replace the broken piece and pin it in place then pean over the pins.  A little JB Weld to seal the dam will be permanent in this spot.  I had the cracks already welded and it's solid but did see a bit of shrinking that shows when I resurfaced the case mating surface.  It caused a couple of thousandths gap where the rear center case bolt goes.  I've dressed the surface with sandpaper on glass to the point of 100% mating surfaces so that should be good to go.

ricochet

pappyfreebird

well i ain no help on the sporty..but do preciate the answer fer us that aways learnin more

ricochet

Yup Pappy.  Always interesting what you might find.  Looking at it more closely again last night to figure out why I didn't see the passage in the first place revealed that there is casting flash, nodules or crud right where the drilled passage is supposed to break out into the case.  There is only like a couple of big pinholes where there should be probably be an 1/8 hole and they had crud in them.  Definately factory defect and might have been the cause of the failure.  No oil to the mainshaft bearing.

ricochet

pappyfreebird