May 01, 2024, 08:19:04 PM

News:

Pre-94 to 94-up trans swap.

Started by 60pan, November 25, 2008, 08:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60pan

I'm considering swapping the trans case on my 92 FLHS with the 94 and later style with the oil tank on the bottom. I have no idea if it's even possible but it looks like it might be. Has anyone done this?

KlingonUltraRider

I have made the change you are talking about on my 1989 Ultra. I put the 1995 Transmission with the oil tank below to replace the oil tank on the side of the frame. I did this to move the battery to under the seat and remove the oil tank. It sounds easier than it is to accomplish. The old parts are easy to remove. Once removed, the battery box from a 1994, 1995, or 1996 will just bolt in place. The problem is when you try to place the transmission in place. The oil out put elbow comes out where the crank case breather comes out of the case. I solved this by replacing my heads with the Breather Heads. Mine are 1999 heads. Also the rear brake master cylinder is in the way of the oil tank. I took a picture of the master cylinder mount. I then bought a new master cylinder, measured and made a mount to weld to the frame. This duplicated the forward mount, as on a 1994 - 1996 model. Also, when you move the oil tank under the transmission, you lose the oil filter mounting location. I drilled and mounted a stock oil filter mount to the front of the motor.

This will take a lot of work, but it was worth the effort. I gained a full size saddlebag to match the other and battery under the seat.

If you have any questions, ask.

60pan

Thanks Klingon, that helps. I was mainly wondering about if the new tranny would work with the existing mounts, primary, etc. I really didn't consider the other problems you mentioned. I have already moved the battery to under the seat when I changed the saddlebags. Right now I'm runnin it without the side cover and with the side oil tank exposed. Doesn't look too bad, the bike's black anyway, but the later tranny would be better.