May 01, 2024, 07:52:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

103 kit 29877-06, will it work for a softail 2004

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, December 05, 2009, 03:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

There is a gentalman selling this 103 kit complete, 29877-06 and I was wondering if it can be used in a softail motor.
Currently I have a 88" stock B motor and I am planning on bumping it up this comming year.

If it is not compadable which kit would be and what are the differences?

Thanks.....
Member since 2004

Don D

December 05, 2009, 07:28:26 AM #1 Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:32:08 AM by Deweysheads
Sure it will work if you add the balancer drive sprocket.
Why though?

There is a much better way to go using what you have (your heads and barrels) and getting a better crank (the CVO fixed). Cost will be less, you will have a trued welded plugged and balanced crank and better performance.
No need for the SE 103 heads, the SE253 cam, the CVO crank out of the box that needs work.
Plus I would consider 107" and hydra chain conversion, these add-ons are value added
Buy the HD parts from the discount dealers, get the machine work done, other parts bought and you are ready to go back with a solid foundation all the way to the top. If you don't already have it get a good pipe and a great tune.

A different better way to get to point "b", the end, but with a much better result.

amphibsailor

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on December 05, 2009, 03:20:49 AM
There is a gentalman selling this 103 kit complete, 29877-06 and I was wondering if it can be used in a softail motor.
Currently I have a 88" stock B motor and I am planning on bumping it up this comming year.

If it is not compadable which kit would be and what are the differences?

Thanks.....

Try the "Check for fitment."  Link on this page to get the book answer for fitment.

:beer:

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Thanks for the replies

Don,

The 107,  what are your recomendations? Do I need new cyclinders or bore mine? What cam would be a good street cam, not looking for high end.

I allready have purchased a DTT ing with cable and software, B148's, 337 primary gearing.

Also would/could some list part numbers ( cams, hydra conversion ) if they have allready gone this route.

Thanks..
Member since 2004

Don D

Your jugs can be bored to go there easily. this is a reliable quiet solution.
One cam that comes to mind is the Andrews 54N. In a 107 with S.P. heads converted to beehives this will be one sweet ride. Just sent out a 107" package to a guy but a little differant he used Axtell cylinders, but that adds to the cost ~+$450. I think you could look for nice power and torque in the low teens. Go up to a Woods cam and pick up about 4/4 without any loss of torque down low. Cam choice is open, the heads will go up but so will the torque curve move to the right looking for more power.
Andrews lists all the components for the conversion and those can be had from the dealer. They are just OEM 07up pieces. I sell the Woods kit just because it is simple for me and not too costly for the customer. He packages everything but the kitchen sink including b-148s, but not a lot of spacers you won't need.
Email me offline for more info