May 01, 2024, 09:34:26 PM

News:

Ultima 6 speed transmissions.

Started by yellajunk, November 25, 2008, 08:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellajunk

Hey is there any word out yet on the quality of the Ultima 6 speeds? They seem to be priced very reasonable but I'd like some feedback from someone who is running one. thanks.

IronButt62

Put one in over the summer and have about 3000 miles on it. No complaints. Smooth shifts. 1-5 are quiet. 6th has a bit of a whine. Finding neutral is tricky.

FWIW, my primary gearing is 25/36 and secondary is 32/65. Even with a beefed up evo (80+hp/80 ftlb) 6th gear isn't really usable below 70MPH or on an upgrade.

Also there was no improvement in gas mileage, I think because the engine is working hard to push the tall gearing.

I'm switching to a 70T pulley next tire swap and long range plan is to drop a 113 in when my current engine dies.

Overall I am very happy with the Ultima. I paid $500 for mine shipped from flea bay.

Deet

64heritage

been running one about a year now no complaints but do agree with the other post. need to be running above seventy five to be effective, i have 24/37 primary with a 32/70 final drive-overall good unit for the money -hope this helps

Buddy WMC

Before you make a decision take a look at Bakers website. I know you mentioned a budget, but the information about the different six speeds and gear ratios is enlightening. I'm also somewhat biased and believe in the phrase "you get what you pay for". After speaking with three or four different experienced Indy shops here, I came up after awhile with the cash to purchase a DD6. The general consensus from the technicians I spoke with was, (A) The cheaper transmissions do not hold up in the long run and (B) With any warranty repair it takes forever for them to get authorization and the parts for the repair. What kind of warranty do you really have with an ebay purchase or other online seller and where do you have to send any broken parts for replacement? There is a reason why these parts are less expensive and mass production is not the answer.

The Indy's here take care of all that if you purchase from them, but downtime is out of their control and in most cases labor for any repair is not included in the warranty. Baker changes the gearing in the primary on some models to keep the factory gearing the same at the rear wheel in 1st through 5th. In my case I have a 93 FXR that has been extensively modified. Baker shippped a two pin longer primary chain and a 28 T engine sprocket. My gearing is 28T engine 37T clutch basket, 32T transmission and 70T rear. I lose no performance in 1st through 5th and wanted that sixth for use on the Interstate. At 85 MPH I'm turning just under 3200rpm in sixth, with the stock 5 speed that was over 3800rpm. I did install a taller 140 rear tire, so that helps a bit as well.

Another issue with an FXR is the ear on the trap door for the rear exhaust bracket. Ultima only makes a softail trans, so no ear. Revtech offers an FXR trans, but in both cases the trap doors are thicker causing rear exhaust alignment issues. No so with the Baker, so an easy decision for me. The trans shifts flawlessly, is quiet and neutral is easy to find even with that "lousy" extra plate clutch I have that alot of folks complain about. I had a cosmetic issue with the top and clutch covers on my trans when delivered. I called Baker e-mailed a couple of photos and had replacement parts overnighted at no-charge.

You will hear different opinions from different folks and if you go back in time and do some research, there are many complaints in regards to the Ultima's shifting and hard to find neutral. The Revtech's go on forever with a list of problems and lack of warranty service. There are always exceptions to this and I know of professionals pulling the guts out of an Ultima, installing and setting them up correctly in the customers case with no further problems. You must weigh the cost of all that, to the cost of the DD6 and decide what's best for you. If you can do the work yourself, I have seen the builder's kit for under $1600.00 everything you need but the case.

Flat Dog

Good post, Buddy. I am sure the Ultimas are ok in the short run, but nothing can beat a Baker IMO. When I go to buy something, I calculate the cost to operate based on a 5 year period, or 10 year if I really love the bike. It really brings the total cost into perspective, and makes buying the best seem much more affordable, even tho it hurts a little initially.

I think Revtech is Korean for 'screw America'...

BigE1340

Benn running a RevTech 6 speed for 4 years and no problems at all.

fergy1940

yella

Been running a RevTech 6 speed going on 5 years best shifting transmission I have ever used.

Fergy.
I'm bored.

yellajunk

Thanks for the reply's all, I'll pass this info on to him and let him decide. thanks again.