May 04, 2024, 07:23:24 PM

News:

cruise control.no more?

Started by pricey13, November 26, 2008, 01:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pricey13

2002 flhtcui cruise control not working,  fuses ok.  has anyone else had this problem? where do i start.

Clintster

Throttle cable adjustment? Are they too loose, or have they recently been tightened.  The roll off switch on the neck of the bike, disconnect it.  If the cruise works, everything but the roll off function it is the switch.  These are some of the first things to check.  My bike is an 02, the newer bikes may have different checks.
Drive fast, take chances

Bakon

HAd an 01. Wires broke from use in the stearing neck. Look for the Ultra Overlay harness. It moves everytime the bars are moved. This causes wires to break in time. About 40,000 when mine acted up. Does it go anything, light come on?
wasting time

Advntr

More than likely the roll off switch [which is on the throttle cable] is bad.  It can be tested with an ohm meter and is located on the right side in front of the tank near the steering neck.

schrec

check the brake light switch on the front brake.  if that switch is bad and stuck in the on position, the cruise will not work.  of course your brake light will be on all the time too so it should be a simple problem to spot. 

03rdkng

I'll throw this in just to keep the diagnostic juices flowing.
My 03 RK had a wad of thread sealant loose in the brake line that caused an intermittent problem with cruise.  After chasing everything numerous times, I kept narrowing it down to the rear brake light switch which I replaced to no avail.  Troubleshooting told me again the problem was at the switch that was when I found the crap in the line.
Wayne

pricey13

will have a look at the roll off switch tonight. thanks heaps for the advise......  Pricey.

madjack

I had same problem last spring, tank and fairing handle bars had been removed during the winter. started to trouble shoot, took me 2 wks ,to finally find that when I plugged the connector into the speedo, I  bent one of the pins. I about tore my hair out, before that. Gene

Ironpig9

Madjack,
I had the same problem with my 02 RK. Turned out to be a bad rollback switch. It's located on the neck of the bike (right side) just before the throttle cable goes behind the tank. Dan the Wrench disconnected the switch and the cruise began working (you won't be able to disengage the cruise with the throttle and will have to use the brake to disengage). If it's not the rollback then it's likely the brake :smiled: switch.

Good luck and keep on cruisin.

Ironpig9 :smiled:
"The road goes on forever...."

prophet

My throttle cable jumped out of the little bracket.  There is a ring clip that hold it in and the ring clip busted or slipped off.  The cable then became loose and popped out of the bracket.  The cruise stopped working.  I thought the worst until I peeked behind the air cleaner and saw the cable flopping around back there.  Check it out.  Easy fix.

python33

Quote from: prophet on November 28, 2008, 07:05:14 AM
My throttle cable jumped out of the little bracket.  There is a ring clip that hold it in and the ring clip busted or slipped off.  The cable then became loose and popped out of the bracket.  The cruise stopped working.  I thought the worst until I peeked behind the air cleaner and saw the cable flopping around back there.  Check it out.  Easy fix.

Or could be the bracket under the fuel tank that holds the cruise cable portion that comes from control module (left sidecover) has a tab that broke off. Finally traced down the problem on my 02 RK Classic.

waskier01

Is it not working at all or does it shut off erratically.  Nobody mentioned a bad cruise cable.

Hat

When mine quit working on my '02, it was the Set/Reset switch (right handlebar). It's been a couple of years, but if I remember, it would turn on, but never engage.

roadkingdresser

brother-in-law had the same problem .they told him it was out of adjustment. seems they put those rolloff switch cover on so that the water was laying in the switch.seemed everytime he washed or got caught in the rain it would qwit. he sprayed it up good with wd-40 then with some zep2000. hasn't had a problem since.
roadkingdresser