April 27, 2024, 12:10:44 PM

News:

Jim's 6 in a 4 Tranny

Started by rkrcpa, November 26, 2008, 07:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkrcpa

Anybody have any experience with these trannys? I'm thinking about one of these for my 1980 FLH. I'm trying to smooth out the highway speeds while keeping up with traffic. I'm running a 4 speed with a 23/49 combo right now and it's not too bad but I'm thinkin' with the 6 speed I could go back to the 51 on the rear and regain a little pull off the line. The motor's 88" and has plenty of power for me.

I'm not as interested in the 4 speed/5 speed/6 speed debate, we've probably all seen that enough times. I wondering what kind of clearance issues I may have with the exhaust etc. Has anybody installed ine of these in a stock 4 speed frame? How much wider is it?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Rodney

panz4ever

The BAKER 6/4 states on the mainpage that it is a DIRECT replacement. You might want to call them. From a couple of other sites, folks who contacted them say they are pretty upfront about the trannys.
Haven't tried one yet but I too am leaning that way for my next pan project.

randallwhitman

Panz4ever has it right......the Baker bolts right in and uses the stock style clutch arm.  On the other hand, I have a JIMS 4/6 in my double belt drive shovel and it's fantastic.  The only mod you have to make is to get a Barnett cable to operate the clutch, or go hydraulic clutch.  JIMS might be able to provide the proper cable.  The Baker MAY come only with a kicker.  I'm not sure about that.  My JIMS has no kicker, and I run a hydraulic clutch.....had a Sputhe 4/5 previously.  Had a bunch of problems with the Sputhe leaking at the mainshaft.....so far, not the case with the JIMS.  It's easily the best tranny I've ever experienced, and I've been through a bunch of bikes since 1970, including my latest newer bike, an '07 FLHX Street Glide (lousy 6 speed...not nearly the tranny that JIMS makes).  You might want to hear from guys who have the Baker until you decide.  You probably can't go wrong with either.   :wink:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

nomadbkr

.. might wanna hold off if you can ..
.. TDC is suppose to soon have a 6 in 4 w/kicker for a good price .. it uses a late 5 speed style trap door and clutch pushrod assembly, so the clutch release arm is eliminated ..
.. and it doesn't have the case add-on thing for the kicker .. looks more natural and will clear over the trans pipes ..
.. has helical 5th and 6th for strong silent running too ..
.. it's suppose to look similar to their current softail trannies and have the same spec's, 'cept it'll be for chain drive with tapered shaft and bolts right up to a 4 spd frame and primary ..
.. they're still in the works, but if the spec's and claims are as good as they look, should be worth the wait I think ..

"""Features of TDC transmissions include:
• Assembled in America
• Precision-machined, investment cast steel shift forks
• Fully CNC machined steel shift drum
• Cast 356-T6 aluminum cases
• Forged 6061 aluminum trap door
• 2.93:1 First gear
• 2.20:1 Second gear
• 1.60:1 Third gear
• 1.23:1 Fourth gear
• 1.00:1 Fifth gear and a .88:1 overdrive sixth gear
• 8620H high nickel content chromemoly steel gears
• Extra-quiet gear tooth profiles with helical 5th and 6th gears on the left-side drive transmissions
• Endurance dyno tested by an independent U.S. test lab

Available in your choice of three different finishes â€" polished, black and chrome, and natural.

All TDC transmissions were subjected to independent dyno durability testing by a U.S. company in Texas. They were tested for over 120 non-stop hours at extremely high loads, as well as an additional 50,000 shift cycles (10,000 in each gear), and passed easily."""

.. I was told the 6 in 4's are on their way and will look similar to this, but without the 5 spd starter housing of course ..

.. I was told the price will be $1420.95 w/kicker, $895.95 with the standard 5 spd end cover .. polished, natural, or black and chrome .. same price ..

.. here's the trans page on their website ... the 6 in 4 isn't there yet, but I was told to call back soon .. '" round Thanksgiving " he sed ..

http://www.thedrivelinecompany.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/44?osCsid=3f691cfd7a3eca41fd414364e3aa57f8

.. I'm on the waiting list .. LOL

nomad

Dawgtired

I run one on my FXWG 80" with 23/49, had to re route the rear pipe, machine round the bearing on the inner primary.
I fitted an early kick arm ' kept hittin my leg on the other one'
It's a good swap. I'll post some pic's if you want.
Dawg.

randallwhitman

November 27, 2008, 07:00:06 AM #5 Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:32:20 AM by randallwhitman
I forgot to mention that Rivera/Primo has a great deal on a belt drive/six speed combo for very little dough.  It is supposedly made offshore, but the price is right.
The JIMS 4/6 does use the five speed style clutch cover which would just require a different cable.   :horse: 

I forgot to mention that the JIMS fits right in.  No exhaust issues.  Never had a kicker, so that wasn't an issue.  I'm pretty sure it has about the same side to side dimensions as the stocker.  Unbelieveably great tranny and if you want to, you can run a modern electronic speedo from the tranny (I don't). 
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

rkrcpa

Thanks for the replies. The more I think about it the more a six speed makes sense. Especially if I can avoid exhaust issues.

Dawg, pics would be appreciated. I'd like as much info as possible before pulling the trigger.

Nomad, that sounds like a mighty interesting tranny from TDC. Especially given the price of a Jims.

Needing a different clutch cable is the least of my worries, I'm sure I'd adjust. lol

Dawgtired

November 29, 2008, 09:42:18 PM #7 Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:04:33 PM by Dawgtired
rkrcpa,
sorry fur the delay been havin a  :bf: on postin the links. With the baker you can't run your cable speedo from it, I fitted a HD electronic one.
Think i'm gona redo the rear pipe sometime.
Hope it helps.
Dawg.
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/Dawgtired_photos/B00150.jpg?t=1228023009http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/Dawgtired_photos/B00155.jpg?t=1228023416http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/Dawgtired_photos/B00186.jpg?t=1228023476

Dawgtired

Randall,
just lookin at your pic, that's the look I wanted!! I think if I fit the Baker hydralic end cover it'll solve the problem, but I ran out of $ at the time.
Dawg

randallwhitman

Dawg....you lookin' to lose the kicker?  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Dawgtired

Randy,
hope not to, if I lose the clutch actuator arm the rear pipe will fit (I think)
Does anybody make a clutch master cylinder to match an 82 brake master cylinder?
Cant find one.
Dawg

randallwhitman

Be more concerned about having a clutch MC that will accept your handlebar switches.  Try JayBrake.  You won't find anything that matches your HD MC.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

biggerjose

Been reading all of this about 6 speeds. Personally I have mild Pan/Shovel 95" Stroker. with dual belts and a 4 speed. On the primary belt, I have a 1.52 to 1 (25 X 37) and on the tranny, I have a 32 belt pulley and a 61 tooth rear wheel pulley which is a 1.90 to 1 final drive. The 2.44 first gear from the original tranny didn't work out as far as takeoff was concerned so I installed a 2.60 to 1 first and 80MPH is a fast idle..(Maybe just above.) The only time I wished I had a 5 speed was in the mountains. I don't understand why you would want to shift, shift shift.
  I guess what I am saying is it is possible to enjoy those ratios with out having to spend all of that money when it is possible for very little. Agreed, these gears aren't for the smaller bikes but at the same time,you don't have to go quite that high and save a lot of money.
  My thought is gear your bike for where you and your engine are comfortable. Most bikes out of the factory are the ratios they think you should use...That may not be what you or your motor likes.
  Everybody has their own likes and there is nothing wrong with that, it's just everyone can't go out and buy a 5 or 6 speed. They do have their advantages and their drawbacks..Jose

76shuvlinoff

That's why it's to-each-his-own or it wouldn't be any fun.  We all take a different path.

I saw no use for 5 speeds but the 4 needed a rebuild and the deal I found on a 5 inna 4 back in 03 was too good to pass up. Yeah I could've rebuilt the 4 cheaper but at that moment in time I had a little extra coin so I figured what the hell.  After I got it in and played with rear sprockets it was a good mix for me and I didn't really see a negative to having the extra gear around town.  Although I can do it where I live there isn't much need for cruising above 75-80 and I tend to avoid the roads where that's the norm anyhow. 

These days I see absolutely no use for 6 speeds.... until the day comes when I put one in.   :wink:

I can imagine a day where someone comes up with 10 speeds and a 2 speed rear end jockey shift,  I probably won't try that...
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway