April 27, 2024, 01:45:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

sheared timing bolt

Started by beerlover, November 26, 2008, 07:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beerlover

I have an '81 Ironhead 1000 that has been converted back to points ignition.  On my last ride, the bolt that holds the breaker cam on sheared off.  Before I start tearing into it, can someone tell me what that bolt threads into and maybe some hints for getting the threads out?

saltcaveminer

that bolt threads into the pinion shaft.work carefully here cause if you screw up the thread in the shaft you will need to split the cases to replace.that bolt is usually no more than hand tight so it should come out just go easy.Salty

xltjim

Mine had sheared off below flush.  I ended up drilling a small hole and using an easy out.  Be careful not to damage the threads.  After drilling it was loose and came right out of there and ended up that there was only maybe 1/4 inch of it threaded in.  Be very careful not to break the easy out in there as I have heard they are very difficult to get out.  Since I replaced it, it has come loose once and I put some locktite blue on it and just snugged it down.  No problems since.  I am afraid to put to much torque on it for fear of it breaking.   Good luck.  Jim

eglideic

November 27, 2008, 09:25:13 AM #3 Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:33:33 AM by eglideic
No it does NOT thread into the pinion shaft. It threads into one of the cams.
You can remove the cam cover and work on removng the screw on the bench or just replace that paticular cam and be fine.
This actually happened to me before, and before tearng anything apart, I got the broken screw out using a pick to back out the stub of the screw
I would dig out my parts book and tell you which cam, but I'm too busy today.

saltcaveminer

yes the timing bolt does thread into the rear intake cam.sorry for any confusion.(i really screwed up!!)Salty

help-u2

i also caught that yesterday. 
but i hey, as much good info and help as you contribute.
one screw up is ok...

a neighbor was gonna change out his cams a while back on a ironhead.  i sorta told him how simple it was.  lol... told him  would come over and help on aligning cam marks...
wellll....he took of cover without taking off ignition...lol....cam came out with case and he got all messed up with alignment marks...
called me over.  i saw cam stuck in outer case held in by points bolt....got a good laugh out of that one...
it was pretty simple to straighten it out and put in his +p's...
we ALL mess up on occasion

saltcaveminer

thanks help u2 this economy is causing me to work too many extra long shifts.in the future i will shut up until i can think straight.Salty

olpigiron

Salty,

Remember,  "Those That Never Make A Mistake, are The Ones That Never Do Anything"!!!

Cheers
OPI
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI