May 01, 2024, 05:25:41 PM

News:

Comments on other 6 speed tranny's.

Started by yellajunk, November 26, 2008, 10:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellajunk

The reason I asked about the ultima is that a friend of mine is shopping for a mid priced 6 speed such as a Trikshift, or Revtech. He doesn't have the money for a higher end tranny so I told him I'd post here for some comments on price vs quality, problems etc. He is running a 80 Evo engine. I put a Trikshift in mine about two years ago and 15,000+ miles on some long trips and haven't had any problems with it yet. I do have some minor shift problems but I don't think it is tranny related. I'm taking it down shortly here for some motor upgrades and will look at some ideas I have for the shift problem. If I don't find anything obvious I'll ask for some help on it later. Any input on these or other good tranny's would be appreciated.Thanks.

hotham

Put a Rev Tech gearset in 2 bikes.  A Twin Cam 103" and a 93" Shovel  With Redline Shockproof Heavy they both have performed great.

Flat Dog

Personally I would go with the Ultima over the Revtech, and don't know anything about the other brand mentioned. Seems Ultima is willing to stand behind their product with little to no hassle, and I haven't heard too many serious complaints on the Ultima. Revtech on the other hand is a gamble, but most folks have been happy re price paid for the gearbox. I just don't want Korean made drivetrain parts on my scooters-no disrespect intended to anyone. Hope that somehow is of help to you and your friend, Yellajunk.

As far as the Ultima 'hard to find neutral' complaints, my brand new Ultra has the same freaking problem. Many times it's a FC linkage adjustment problem rather than a tranny problem. If I had to buy a new tranny, I'd pony up for the Ultima if I were on a tight budget, as long as they are for sure made in USA.

BigE1340

Quote from: Photo John on November 27, 2008, 07:49:56 AM
Personally I would go with the Ultima over the Revtech, and don't know anything about the other brand mentioned. Seems Ultima is willing to stand behind their product with little to no hassle, and I haven't heard too many serious complaints on the Ultima. Revtech on the other hand is a gamble, but most folks have been happy re price paid for the gearbox. I just don't want Korean made drivetrain parts on my scooters-no disrespect intended to anyone. Hope that somehow is of help to you and your friend, Yellajunk.

As far as the Ultima 'hard to find neutral' complaints, my brand new Ultra has the same freaking problem. Many times it's a FC linkage adjustment problem rather than a tranny problem. If I had to buy a new tranny, I'd pony up for the Ultima if I were on a tight budget, as long as they are for sure made in USA.

gryphon

Earlier this year I contacted Ultima and asked where their tranny's were made. The reply was that they were "imported". I do think their cases are cast here but the guts are likely from Korea. Just like the others. I ran a Trikshift for a few thousand miles with no problems. I took it out because with my bike it just wasn't necessary. The only time I found it to be helpful was crossing the Nevada desert about 3 years ago.

Flat Dog

Thanks Gryphon! So much for that option for me, then...