May 02, 2024, 04:57:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

REPRINT FROM OLD HTT: V-THUNDER EVL-3010 or EVL-3020? YOUR OPINION PLEASE!

Started by ClassicRider2002, November 26, 2008, 01:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC:  V-THUNDER EVL-3010 or EVL-3020?  YOUR OPINION PLEASE!  11-27-02

From: OldBoy99  (Original Message) Sent: 11/27/2002 7:22 AM   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion
Please help!!!!!  I’m having a terrible time deciding between the V Thunder EVL-3010 and EVL-3020 for my carbureted EVO 1998 FLHTC.

My typical riding setup is:
Typically not carrying a passenger or a lot of stuff
Never tow a trailer
I’m fairly light (180lbs)
Typically have the bike as stripped down as possible (i.e. no Tour Pak or excess stuff)
Typically riding in Florida (no mountains)

My current motor setup includes:
K&N element in stock aircleaner
Dynojet carb recalibration kit
Andrews EV13 cam
SE 6000rpm ignition/SE coil
KhromeWerks HP PLUS Touring Lite slip-ons with stock headpipes
(I also have a White Brothers’ E-Series 2 into 1 which I may put back on)
No head work or any other mods

My riding style/goals:
I like getting “off the line” quick, but I also like cruising the highways at 80-90mph.
My riding buddy has a basically stock TC88 RoadKing, so I need to keep up with him!
I’m hoping the V Thunder cam will be quieter than my current EV13

Questions:
Which cam would you choose (3010 or 3020), and why?
Will the 3020 make more TQ/HP in its powerband (1800-6000rpm) than the 3010 (1500-5800), due to its longer duration or valve timing differences?  Specs at:

http://www.vthunder.com/Catalog/images/cams2.gif

If I went with the 3020, would I have to do headwork or change compression for it to reach it’s potential (I really wanted to leave the heads alone)?

Thanks for helping me decide!

From: DAGORATCHET Sent: 11/27/2002 7:59 AM   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion
if i was you i would go with the andrewes ev 27 it is a much better cam and is a 6000 plus cam with all the other tings you allready have done it will do better than the v thunder cam ... and if you can go with jims push rods 15 flats and you are done you should be in the 70to 78 hp range have done a lot of baggers then dyno and the set up works good    .............

From: OldBoy99 Sent: 11/27/2002 8:45 AM   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion
WHY is the EV27 a better cam???
I want the QUIETEST cam that still gives good performance.

From: JAMESP Sent: 11/27/2002 10:58 AM    Message 4 of 14 in Discussion
OLD BOY,
I HAVE A V-THUNDER 3010 IN MY FXSTS,W/LOADED BAGS AND MY 230 LBS,IT PULLS HARD FROM OFF IDLE ALL THE WAY TO ABOUT85+MPH.IT IS ABSOLUTLY NO LOUDER THAN THE STOCK CAM WAS.THIS IS IN AN EVO.  1998.WITH A GOOD BREATHER,HOOKER STEP-TUNED PIPES AND RE-JETTED CARB. WHICH ALL TUNED UP WELL TOGRTHER AND RUNS GREAT.COMP CAMS(V-THUNDER)PAYS A LOT OF ATTENTION TO THE RAMPING ON THESE BOLT IN GRINDS,TO INSURE LOW NOISE LEVELS,AND THE 3020 IS NOT A WHOLE LOT DIFFERENT THAN THE 3010.IN MY NOT OFTEN SOUGHT HUMBLE OPINION(NOSHO?)I REALLY BELIEVE YOU WILL LOVE EITHER ONE.

I DONT WORK FOR V-THUNDER  ....I JUST WAS AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE IT MADE IN THE RIDEABILTY AND NOISE LEVEL OF MY SCOOTER. COMPARED TO THE EV-27.............................HAVE FUN..JAMESP

From: OldBoy99 Sent: 11/27/2002 11:29 AM   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion
Thanks JAMESP, your story is similar to what I've heard from others about V Thunder cams.
So you had an EV27 in your FXSTS before the EVL-3010?  Did you feel any loss of power after you switched cams?

From: OldBoy99 Sent: 11/27/2002 11:30 AM   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion
John S., care to give your $0.02   ??? 

From: JAMESP Sent: 11/27/2002 12:04 PM   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion    
OLDBOY,
WHEN WE PULLED THE EV-27 OUT WE WERENT SURE IF THE GEAR WAS ORIG. OR NOT SO WE PUT THE 3010 IN WITH THE GEAR THAT CAME ON IT.I DONT THINK YOU COULD BUY IT W/O THE GEAR AT THE TIME.THE WRENCH TOLD ME IT WOULD BE A LITTLE NOISIER THAN IF WE USED THE OLD GEAR ,THE 3010 HAS SLIGHTLY HIGHER LIFT THAN THE EV-27 BUT THERE WAS ACTUALLY A NOTICEABLY BETTER HOLE SHOT AND PULLED HARDER THRU THE GEARS.I ALSO PUT IN ANOTHER SET OF ADJ.PUSH RODS THEN,IT ALREADY HAD SOME BUT THE INVOICES THAT CAME W/SCOOTER ONLY HAD A PART # FOR THEM WHICH I COULDNT IDENTIFY THEM FROM.AND THE MAIN REASON FOR THIS WORK WAS EXCESSIVE VALVETRAIN NOISE ,THOUGHT SOMETHING WAS WRONG.ANYWAY, IT IS SUPER QUITE NOW(VALVETRAIN)AND I LOVE IT...............JAMESP

From: OldBoy99 Sent: 11/27/2002 12:22 PM  Message 8 of 14 in Discussion
JAMESP,
What brand adjustable pushrods did you put in?  The quick install type?  Any problems with them hitting the stock pushrod tubes?

Thanks
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

From: JAMESP Sent: 11/27/2002 12:43 PM   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion
OLDBOY,I USED RIVERA TAPER-LITE PUSHRODS,AS FAR AS I CAN TELL THEY HAVE NEVER RUBBED THE TUBES,I JUST LIKED THE 3/8*40.40 THREADS PER INCH JUST SEEMED LIKE IT WOULD HELP FINE TUNE ADJUSTMENTS.ALSO THE LOCAL SHOP HAD BOUGHT OUT THE INVENTORY FROM A DEFUNCT SHOP AND CUT ME A KILLER DEAL ON THEM........................HAVE FUN

From: z-man Sent: 11/27/2002 1:52 PM   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion
OldBoy,
Open up a new message addressed to John C. and ask him this question. It was from his post that I was convince the v thunder is better than andrews. I have the 3010 and very happy with it. I think you will not be disappointed.
Z-Man

From: JohnS_Rosamond_CA Sent: 11/27/2002 10:22 PM   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion
Terribly sorry  Oldboy, I wasn't ignoring you.  Sometimes I feel like such a walking advert for V-Thunder that I refrain.

My experience with the 3010 and the 3020 have led me to believe that they are very similar.  So, the '20 does not make more horsepower than the '10?  (not so much as you'd notice).  The 3010 comes on a full 500 rpm lower than the 3020  (3010 right at 2000 rpm, 3020 at 2500).  Hence the 3020 also lasts a little longer in the rpm range.  You do not need head work for either one (regardless of what the description states).  In my opinion, because it lasts a little longer in the rpm range, the 3020 responds better to a bike that has been modified with full exhaust (rather than slip ons) and a better induction system.  I also feel that the 3020 is a better choice if you ride "light" or solo more often than not.  If you were pulling trailer along, or a passenger, the bike would benefit (in town traffic) from the 3010 instead.

I have an '88 FLHS, I just put a 34 tooth front pulley behind the primary and I ride Solo almost exclusively.  I feel that the 3020 was an excellent choice for this bike and my riding style.  If this cam were to become damaged I would not hesitate to go right back to the 3020.  And yes, it is a very quiet cam (with the OEM gear put on it).

John S, Rosamond CA

From: OldBoy99 Sent: 11/28/2002 7:45 AM   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion 
Much thanks to all, I've decided to go with the EVL-3020 and the V Thunder "Fast Times" pushrods.

Hope Santa brings it. Hope you have a peaceful Thanksgiving

- Mike
Saint Petersburg, FL

From: Lil' Chief Sent: 11/28/2002 11:23 AM   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion
Hey Reno,

Did you replace your valve springs when you installed your 3040? Reason I ask is that I am pondering changing from my EV46 to the 3040, and I see that V Thunder says that the valve springs need to be changed to high lift if installing this cam. I just really wasn't planning on  pulling the heads off and replacing all of those gaskets again! (especially since I just put the EV46 in a few months ago.)

Thanks,
Lil' Chief

From: Lil' Chief Sent: 11/28/2002 8:04 PM   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion
Thanks Reno,

I have stock Evo heads that have been flowed, and am running stock valves, springs, etc. I know that the EV 46 has a little more aggressive opening and closing ramps than the 3040, but a shorter lift.  I think for now, if I decide to change out to the 3040, I will keep my stock valve springs components. (They showed absolutley no wear when the heads were pulled off and the valves were re-worked a few months ago.) I still run stock HD lifters, which I know are supposed to start floating at about 6000rpm's anyway.  Thanks again Reno,

Lil' Chief

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Anything added beyond this point is new information.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2