April 27, 2024, 07:13:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

need cylinders

Started by ridgerider, December 16, 2009, 06:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridgerider

i need a pair of 74" kncuk cylinders and have talked with mike brown he is not making any at this time where would be a good source?

ricochet

Go to page 70 of the Flathead Power catelog in the S & S Website.  I believe those would be stock replacement.  They also have big bore too.  Or just call them.  Sometimes it's difficult sorting through their online catelog but a good read if time allows.

ricochet

eglideic

I know a guy that should have some if you still need them.
His wife is having surgery later this week and he might be hard to get hold of.
Give me your phone number and I'll go to his house and see if I can find him or leave a note.

ridgerider

another winter and i still havent put the knuck back together after if blew up the 2nd time, i still need cylinders cannot afford the ss new ones, i have a set of pan 50 over cylinders that i was running when it blew up the 1st time,,looking back i should of just bought replacement cases instead of having the originals welded twice , spent over $2000.00 in just that,,should i just run the pans again wouldnt they be stronger that a set of orginal knuck cylinders? or overseas made replacements?   maybe try  to trade the pan cylinders?

ricochet

It seems if you were running panhead cylinders before then your heads were modified to run them so it would not be a problem to run pan cylinders again.  Did you switch your headbolt locations back to knuc?  There are aftermarket knuck cylinder sets for like $180/pair usually on e-bay but I'd suggest having a really qualified look at them before using.  This is from hearsay not any experince on my part.  I bought a set from Mike Brown a couple of years ago.  Those look good but again nothing to judge against.

ricochet

ricochet

ridgerider

starting to wonder if i shoul go shovel top end,, sure wish twin cam cylinders and heads would fit there everywhere, jus t would like to git this one back together while i have the time b4 my stuff gits 2 scattered

Hillside Motorcycle

Why for does it keep "blowing up"??
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

ricochet

Seems your chasing issues and looking for reliability no doubt but if you're running knuckleheads now those are indeed part of the charm of that engine.  People pay big bucks for them if in good shape and even decent money still for pieces of crap.  If the heads were performing as designed and didn't leak like a seive then figure out why it blew then your options are to find whatever cylinders you want and get them fit up for pistons.  Really depends what you want in the end.  Something close to original knuck, get some tired cylinders and get them sleeved if necessary.  If you don't care get some pan cylinders.  If your fed up with this engine you can part it out for quite a bit, cases, heads, etc. and get cash back especially if a matching numbers case.  Then you've got options what to replace it with nowadays for reasonable prices.  Ultima, evos and shovels to name a couple.

ricochet

ridgerider

don't think i could ever part with this engine, had it way 2 long...since early 70"s had a intake leak  that melted a piston, rebuilt it fresh new crank pin, and pistons, than it started to do it again caught it with just a small amount of piston burnt, than went to the pan cylinders and discovered the leak was between the valve seat and head got new seats installed, ran good, than the race in one rod wore too thin and a rod went through the bottom end...had the cases   welded and rebuilt bottom end.. still had my original knuck cylinders put them back on but i did not realize they were 61" cylinders all this time bored to 74"  and a clean up bored to 10 over 74" was done at 250 miles one cylinder disengrated and took the top half of the cases with it, had the cases welded again by a different shop, they look great,  now i can put the pan cylinders back on and run it or try to find something better...do not want to risk another blow up, and from what i read knuck cylinders were weak to start with,,

ridgerider

the short of why it blew was 1st time a rod ate up all the race, probably from when the piston started to burn the 2nd time i just washed out the bottom end and didnt take it apart again seemed fine....the 2nd time it blew my fault or the mc shop for not knowing i had 61" already bored to 74 and went for a 10 over cleanup..

ricochet

I hear you on keeping the engine.  I also have a 47 61" just pulled out of my custom that has been mine since about 1976.  Pulled it to put in a beefier stroker using aftermarket cases.  After just cleaning it off this past weeked, wrapped it up comfortably and boxed it for another day.  May see the light of day as a light bobber or local roadster someday.

Sounds like your committed to this with all the case repairs done thus far.  Hoping it all works out.

Love the old iron,

ricochet