May 02, 2024, 03:24:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

REPRINT FROM OLD HTT: CAM GEAR ADVICE

Started by ClassicRider2002, November 26, 2008, 02:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC:  CAM GEAR ADVICE  09-02-02

From: Scoot52  (Original Message) Sent: 9/2/2002 8:15 PM    Message 1 of 4 in Discussion   
I am in the middle of changing my cam and need some advice on whether I should have my stock cam gear pressed on to the new cam (EV27).  My stock cam gear has the red dot on it and I think I read somewhere that if your stock cam has the red paint dot on it, you can just go ahead and use the after market cam gear.   This first time getting into the engine has been the learning experience I hoped it would be.  As usual, nothing goes as smooth as planned.  Took some wrestling to get the exhaust off, but I found I had an exhaust leak at the rear cylinder that accounts for the popping on deceleration.
I am going tomorrow to buy a cam shim and see if I can borrow a Jim's tool to pull the cam bearing.  Will also be buying new exhaust gaskets - any recommendations welcome.  Thanks for any advice.

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

From: Canner48 Sent: 9/2/2002 11:26 PM   Message 2 of 4 in Discussion   
Best to change the the gear and use the one that your bike is used to....it is a very simple change and is well worth the effort......the other may be just fine but it is best to use the old gear

Riding Sober,
Sam

From: JohnS_Rosamond_CA Sent: 9/3/2002 6:58 PM   Message 3 of 4 in Discussion 
I concur.  Using the OEM gear means not having to worry about gear lash and the new cam will be as gear-quiet as the old one.  I would highly suggest that you throw in a few pennies and have the old gear pressed onto the new cam.

John S, Rosamond CA

From: Scoot52 Sent: 9/3/2002 8:21 PM   Message 4 of 4 in Discussion
I went and had the gear swapped out by the same shop that lent me the Jim's tool.  No charge for either.  Bought a bunch of stuff and will be making all my purchases from there in the future.  Feel really lucky finding a good independent with friendly and helpful folks (Creative Cycle Works, Beavercreek, Ohio).
Thanks for the advice.
Tim

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Anything added beyond this point is new information.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

96roadking

What's the best way to swap the gears without messing up the timing?

ClassicRider2002

I'll tell you what, you mess the "timing" up and the bike won't start, don't ask me how I know this.....LOL....
I had a buddy, find this out on his 2001 RG when we were changing his tensioners.....when you don't put everything back together correctly you get to do it TWICE!!! obviously 1) for practice and the 2) for reals.

The real "key" to this is to take close up digital photos of everything AFTER you remove the cam case cover and BEFORE you remove anything else......"seeing" or watching how the everything lines up at certain points while a buddy rotates the rear tire slowly.  The new "GEAR" will go on the shaft the same way the old one goes off......just taking your time will result in you not having any problems.....the gear will have marks that match up with the other gears it comes into contact with.....it makes sense when you have it apart as well as when you look at your particular bike's Service Manual.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Billy

Quote from: 96roadking on November 27, 2008, 06:00:10 PM
What's the best way to swap the gears without messing up the timing?

I scribe 2 lines on the gear to align the slot before pressing it off, then carefully align the scribe marks to the slot on the new cam when pressing it on. Next I verify the cam timing with a degree wheel and dial indicator vs the cam specs.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention