REPRINT FROM OLD HTT: HIPPO, Assembly Of Stock Cam Gear To V-Thunder Camshaft

Started by ClassicRider2002, November 26, 2008, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC:  HIPPO, Tech Dudes â€" Assembly Of Stock Cam Gear To V-Thunder Camshaft  11-25-02

From: OldBoy99  (Original Message) Sent: 11/25/2002 10:20 AM   Message 1 of 3 in Discussion 
I was hoping that you could provide a little more detail on how to do this myself. 
Specifically:
How can I remove the stock cam gear from the stock cam shaft without damaging either one?  What tools would I need?

Regarding assembly:
I know that to press a new gear onto a camshaft, the center of the 1/4" keyway (in the camshaft) must be exactly 180 degrees from the pinion timing mark on the drive gear.  You mentioned in another post that they make alignment pins to help with this.

I’m a little slow…..could you briefly describe how you would use these pins to get the correct alignment?

Finally, how would I press the stock cam gear onto the new V-Thunder cam shaft?  What tools would I use?

Thanks.  I think I can handle this given a little expert guidance!

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

From: JohnS_Rosamond_CA Sent: 11/25/2002 5:42 PM   Message 2 of 3 in Discussion 
You really need a hydraulic press, though I suppose that if you were really good (and had a big one) you could do it in a vise.  First (and foremost) look at how the gear on the OEM cam is instaled.  The pinion mark must be 180 degrees from the keyway in the cam, and the breather mark is close to 180 degrees away from the front exhaust lobe (first lobe behind the timing gear).  Make a mark on the gear you want as to exactly where it meets the sdges of the keyway, and you may want to count the teeth to assure yourself that the positioning is correct when you're done

To push the timing gear off using a socket on top of the cam "nose" (opposite of bearing end.  Make sure that you can catch the cam stick as it falls, or have someone catch it.  Put your gear on the new cam stick.  Use a marker to try and get the cam and gear aligned as well as possible.  Now carefully drive the cam in the gear (again using something in between - like a socket).  It will stop moving and seat on it's own collar.  Now remove the cam and see if the marks that you put on the gear itself, match the edges of the keyway.  Or something like that
John S, Rosamond CA

The last time I needed a cam gear pushed, I did it myself.  If you set the gear up right, you can get it right on the first try.  I had a mechanic friend who has the Crane "installation tool" and he gets it wrong every once in a while.  I think if you just make the marks right on the gear itself, you're better off.

From: OldBoy99 Sent: 11/25/2002 6:12 PM   Message 3 of 3 in Discussion
Thanks John, I think I got the idea! 
These forums are invaluable!

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Anything added beyond this point is new information.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2