April 30, 2024, 11:04:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

MP3 Player Zune or I-Pod?

Started by DGlide04, November 26, 2008, 04:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGlide04

The sound system is all set for my Road King and now it comes down to hooking up an MP3 player.  I was really leaning toward an Ipod, either the Classic or the new Touch, but the more I look at and read about the Zune, the harder my decision is getting.

I'd appreciate any opinions on either player, positive or otherwise.  Problems with the units mounted on a bike?  Software problems, warranty? 

Thanks.

FXDBI

IPOD gets my vote. Have had a 4g mini for 3 yrs now it gets used daily by either me or my kid. Holds 1100+ songs. Very sturdy compact unit. BOB

MMOCGuy

Not to throw confusion into the mix but, I opted for the SanDisc Sansa. I looked at all of them and opted for this particular model for 2 reasons. First, it has a user replaceable battery should the need arise to replace a battery (None of the others do). Second, It has a slot for micro chip memory moduleswith  so that there is unlimited song storage. The SanDisc Sansa is available in several built in memory sizes the largest being 8gigabytes (Which is huge).

Hope this helps.

Norm.

drgn*95

I like the Creative Zen brand. Have used my 60gb for years with no problems, though mostly in the car as it's a hard drive unit, but have stuck it in my pocket and run it with no problems. My newer one is also a Creative Zen, 16gb flash that has FM radio, (not needed), plays video, pictures, music, that I strap to my bars and ride all day without any problems. The size of a credit card and 1/2 in. thick. Decent controls.. :up:

RainDodger

I've got a small Zune and the wife has an 80GB Zune. They both work great and there's a couple nice things about them. If you want to, you can share music between them and with the new ones I think you can download music with the wireless as well (the models that come out this holiday season). Sure, iPod has the most units out there, but don't discount the Zune.

Flat Dog

After Vista, I swore I would never buy another MS product... :smilep:

Have you checked out the iPod clones on eBay? Much cheaper than the real thing, and they do the same thing.

I've also used the Creative products with great success, and there should be some great deals to be had on line tomorrow. Just remember-you want a big display and largish buttons for bike use. Small is not good...

harleyjt

Sandisk Sansa gets my vote too.  I'd look hard at the Fuze model.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

14Frisco

The SanDisk Sansa Fuze 8GB is $59.99 at Costco November 28-30 - $99.99 minus $40 with a coupon they give you at the door.

HarleyFranco

Take a look at the model that Sony makes, it plays apple format AAC, WMA, and MP3.  The price for the 8 gig is very reasonable.

Frank

RainDodger

All the prices will be coming down in December. Bet money on it. Wait a couple of weeks.

RKC03

Dglide04, what kind of speakers you using, amplified via remote amplifier or amplifier built into speaker or neither? TIA
                                                                                                                           RKC[03/glow]
RKC03

Flat Dog

Just ordered 2 sandisk e250 players this morning at buy.com for $27 each!

george248

anything but Ipod... unless you like paying for the name... Creative Labs makes a lot of nice stuff... Sandisk also

oldhippie765

what ever happend to listening to the bike run, i-pods, stereo, mp3? what the hell! man you guys need to travel back in time. rex

george248

Quote from: oldhippie765 on November 29, 2008, 01:09:25 PM
what ever happend to listening to the bike run, i-pods, stereo, mp3? what the hell! man you guys need to travel back in time. rex

no "Potty mouth"...  :hyst:   I listen to my mp3 player when running but have no desire to listen to it on the bike...

oldhippie765

Flat Dog

I like to listen to the Evo, but drown out the Twinkie with tunes.

DGlide04

Quote from: RKC03 on November 28, 2008, 02:02:18 PM
Dglide04, what kind of speakers you using, amplified via remote amplifier or amplifier built into speaker or neither? TIA
                                                                                                                           RKC[03/glow]

RCK03, I'm using a pair of small 4" speakers that are handlebar mounted with a separate remote amplifier.  I looked at Rumble Road and a whole lot of others, but they were pretty pricey for what I was looking for.  I found a pair of pretty good speakers (for me anyway) along with an amp that has a built-in FM radio from gooddeals18.com,  here is the link:

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHKCYCLERADIOKIT

Believe me, I understand you get what you pay for and these are not concert hall quality, but for a few tunes now and then I figure you can't go wrong for under $100.00 delivered.

Ultraman

I have the 30G Ipod.. firstly on long hauls I Never hear the same tune twice. Batteries are bought and changed now no problem. But I have had problems this year to and from Sturgis. I have the Iskin ( a rubber for Ipod) weather proof and without it the holder I have is not secure. At 85 + temp the heat causes the Ipod to freeze up. They will not even reply to my emails! If I put it in the windscreen pouch or my person without the Iskin then it works perfectly. Ever tried to reboot an Ipod at hi-way speed in formation.... not good! I love the sound of the bikes, but I love tunes to groove to as well... time and place dictates. To the purist that say no to music, MOCO gave me CB & Intercom as well as radio... ROCK ON!
07 Nightrain 103"   Calgary Canada   Gigity Gigity Gooooo!

06ultra

I have the Zune 120, but only have about 60 g installed, plus 4 movies. The picture is great and the sound is great. The prices should be coming down very soon. I also have the ipod shuffle (1g). Love that little gissmo also, light and only 49 bucks.

jimrookie

I have a generic MP3 player holds alot of great songs but it sounds bad going
through my bike , shop stereo , truck
but it sounds great with headphones