April 27, 2024, 03:46:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Any older bikes switched to Synthetic

Started by 96roadking, December 20, 2009, 12:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

96roadking

Anyone that has an older bike switch to a Synthetic lube and develope leaks they never had. This has been my biggest concern about switching. I have read numerous times that this was the biggest down fall with this stuff. Other than the leaks it was the best with less friction and running cooler.

Reddog74usa

I have an 88 FXRS-SP that has 17K miles on it with Mobile 1 15w50 with no leaks at all. Even the cylinder base gaskets are bone dry.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

floatyguy

I have been running synthetic in my 1990 FLHS for a few years now, I did have a few minor leaks when I first used it. (But they were probably there anyway just never noticed them with dino oil) It does make the bike run cooler and cools down faster in my opinion. The only thing I noticed,  (at first was a little annoying) was the engine seemed to have a little more clatter noise. I have ran Amsoil, Mobil 1 and V-twin. I like the mobil 15-50 the best for my bike, which is cheaper than the V-twin stuff anyway. My bike has over 70,000 miles on it. 40,000 by me.

Buddy WMC

Been running Redline 20/50 in the engine, Mobil 1 75/140 LT gear in the transmission and B&M Trick Shift in the primary. No problems with leaks and IMO offers better protection from heat, the bike runs cooler and oil change intervals can be longer.

Floatguy, I know the Redline is pricier than the 15-50 Mobil 1, but you might want to give it a try. We have noticed a noise reduction in some Twinkies we serviced after switching them over to Redline from other brands.

floatyguy

Thanks Buddy I will give that a try on my next oil change.

seattledyna

20-50 syn in the 91 FXR, no leaks at all, also ran it in my 95 FLHT with no leaks other than when the trans output shaft seal went south, which is not uncommon for those :crook:

SnS107

I have switched several old Studebakers, and all fours motors I have had on this 1986 FXRD over to synthetic, without any problems whatsoever. I think the leak myth is just that, unless using 0-W-30 to replace 20-W-50, or something weird like that.

I have ran Mobil 1 15-W-50 in the Studes, and Mobil 1 15-W-50 Amsoil 20-W-50 in the HD engines. In the HD, I really can't tell much difference between the two. With this last, crate motor, I installed Amsoil from day one, and it seems to have broken in just fine, without the first few hundred miles of dino oil, as is often suggested.

Joe   

Norton Commando

I installed Amsoil from day one, and it seems to have broken in just fine, without the first few hundred miles of dino oil, as is often suggested.

Using dino oil for break-in is a myth. Corvettes and some other cars come straight out of the factory with synthetic oil. The biggest advantage to using synthetic oil over dino is its resistance to high temperatures. 
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

mel

I've used Royal Purple in my '88 FXRS-Sp for about 10 years, and other than a slight misting around the cylinder bases, and a small bit of oil from the case splits, all is good.
1988 Low Rider Sport, 2001 Road King
USAF MSgt Retired 1969-1989

stroker800

I have used royal Purple bout 10 yrs also,,no problem...BUT you cannot break in a motor with it..The sales rep out of Kankakee tried it at a speed shop he was a rep for,,,the rings didn't seat,,,flogged oil...It was his motor and his dime on the re-ring job...
Dave