April 30, 2024, 08:27:37 PM

News:

Old mag wheels

Started by bump, November 27, 2008, 04:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bump

I am restoring  78 Lowrider and am wondering if the original mag wheels need to run a tube in tire. It had tubes in tires when new and I always put tubes in new tires. Can I run tubeless tires or will I need the tubes.

fulldress79

On my 81 FXEF (mag wheels) I ran tubeless tires. On my 79 FLH I run tires (old repro bias ply) with tubes, mag wheels also.I believe it all hinges on the tire itself.

Hazy

November 27, 2008, 05:42:06 AM #2 Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 06:04:20 AM by Hazy
Check on the mags. There should be a stamping on them that'll say whether you can go tubeless. O' course it's fine to run a tube with a tubeless rim.
Hazy

HarleyCharley

Been running tubeless on my '81 FXE stock mags for years without any trouble.

MMOCGuy

I have a '78 Low Rider and I always ran tubeless tires on the mag wheels without any problems.
Hope this helps.

Norm.

Old Crow

On my '82 FLT the rims are clearly marked as "tube type only". 
That being said, I'll say that I've been running them tubeless for 6 years with no problem. 
A guy I know who works for HD told me that the difference was that the tube type rims were not subjected to a porosity test during the manufacturing process.  After I heard that, I mounted up a set of tires and kept watch on the pressure.  When it didn't go down I started riding and never looked back.
I believe that I had to drill out one of the valve stem hole to a larger size when I wanted to install metal valve stems, but although I check the tires about every third day during riding season, I usually only have to add air once or twice a year.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

hgailey

My '78FX came with tubes (it came out of the crate with a mag rear and spoke front, I made them put a mag on front to match before delivery) and I was told the 78 mags were not rated for tubeless. If you're talking stock 78 mags I'd put tubes in 'em.
78 FX - DAILY RIDER NICE WEATHER; 02 FXDX DAILY RIDER OTHER WEATHER

Inda Win

I'm restoring a 78 Low Rider as well.  The mags are physically in good shape, except their appearance is fairly ratty.  Any suggestions for cleaning them up?

Yona

I just blasted mine with walnut shell, they are the 79 FXS AMF mags.....Less spokes,

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.

DON'T POKE A BEAR WITH A SHORT STICK!!

pappyfreebird

April 07, 2009, 12:21:22 PM #9 Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:24:37 PM by pappyfreebird
79 fxs mags were like 9 n 7 spoke n 16 n 19" ers...them must be baggars wheels (flh) n seems mebbe one of differnet year  er 9 spoker is n fx rear  cause my ol 79 flh n 80 flt had same no. per wheel..now i been all fugged up befoe n wouldnt hurt me ta be wrong..but ive been say very cclose to 4 a 78- 3 79 fxs n all were as  said,,,wallnuts made em fuggan cool thou!!!