May 04, 2024, 08:35:02 PM

News:

MM to Delphi conversion?

Started by Big Dan, November 27, 2008, 06:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Dan

Can it be done with stock stuff? A guy I know buys wrecks and parts 'em out. My thinking (which may very well be off) is that if I could get the ecm, harness, throttle body, and all the sensors for not too much coin I could swap it over. I'm not real interested in a carb, and the Zipper's conversion is pretty spendy. Anyone ever done this? Can it even be done?

My MM runs pretty good, but It sure is a bottleneck. Thoughts....?
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Big Dan

Never follow the Hippo into the water.

00FHHRCI

I know the gas tanks are different between the MM and delphi.  I'm not sure about the gas tank internals, such as the fuel pump.  You can buy a plug for one of the hose connections on the MM tank.

James

HIPPO

November 28, 2008, 01:07:07 PM #3 Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:08:44 PM by HIPPO
With a 99 bike you have to change the tank.

The 02 bagger tank has a -00 part# (meaning possibly the bare tank of a 00 MM bike MAY be compatible with the Delphi system)

ALL the inside  tank parts are different, they ALL (other then minor clips and fasteners) have 01 and 02 part#'s.

Most likely many parts (ECM, harness, etc) would have to come from a non serial data bike, ie only 02 or 03

Huge expense and lots of work. Much easier to convert to carb if you don't want to keep what you have.
Heck, mine is Delphi and I have had everything to convert to carb for many years. The bike must know because so far nothing expensive in the EFI went TU.

appledore52

Dan, I've got and '01 EGC with a 95" 10:1 CR HQ build and I went with the 43mm TMax conversion kit with auto tune. Easy to install and solved all my problems...REL
'01 EGC
95" 10:1 CR
HQ Heads HQ 39g's 43mm TMax Con. 2:1 SuperTrap 93T VPC

TXChop

http://www.vtwinfuelinjection.com/

These guys sell a decent looking simple retro fit kit. Looks to keep the stock tank and everything. May be worth the monet if you have a picky MM injected bike. I have been meaning to call them a see if they sell a kit to convert my carb to fuel injection.

Gulfstream

Steve at GMR has done a couple of the conversions with the Zippers kit, he says it's the shizz!

Paniolo

The guy you wan to talk to about that is Dan Thayer.
Here is is website: http://www.vtwinfuelinjection.com/.
He has entire kits to do the conversion, or will sell you whatever parts you need to get the job done.

Good luck

Mark
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

fxrp

I second post #4. Zipper's has the ThunderMax conversion for the MM. It's a straight bolt on, simple installation and definately get the Auto Tune. Brings you up past HD in technology to a wide band closed loop. I installed two this past summer, the difference in the bike is dramatic.
Chack it out here:

http://www.thunder-max.com/Products/FuelInjection/MagnettiMarelliKit.aspx

Paul