What's the widest tire I can put on the back of a stock '02 Road King ?

Started by Dave Kain, December 26, 2009, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Kain

I'd like to change to a fatter rear tire on my '02 Road King. I'm trying to find out what's the widest tire I can put on without changing the drive belt, fender or anything.
                                                                                                     Thanks
                                                                                                      Dave

BikerJim44

140 is the widest but be careful as a Metzler is just a smidge wider than a Dunlop and could rub on the edge of the tire. Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.

JBarrettB

CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

calif phil

mayor

Quote from: calif phil on December 26, 2009, 03:36:25 PM
Quote from: JBarrettB on December 26, 2009, 03:00:12 PM
Run the MU85 402 Dunlop. A bit wider and excellent wear.

JB

took the words right out of my mouth.

that's what I'm running too ('02 RK C), but I had to add a pingel pulley spacer because I went with the wide white walls which stuck out far enough to rub the belt. 

edited to add pic.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

harleyburnout

I had a Metzler 150 on my 03 Ultra with no mods. It did scrub a little. so I had to go back down to a 140. Hope this helps.

Paniolo

Quote from: mayor on December 27, 2009, 05:26:17 AM
that's what I'm running too ('02 RK C), but I had to add a pingel pulley spacer because I went with the wide white walls which stuck out far enough to rub the belt. 

What's a Pingle Pully Spacer? Is that something that is added to the rear sprocket when you change out the tire? Is it like a bunch of shims that move the sprocket out and away from the wheel?

Right now I am running a 130 on my bike and would like to move up to a 140, maybe a 150 if possible. Back when it had the OEM swing arm (pre-'02 style), the 140 tire rubbed against the belt when backing up.  Since then I have gone to the newer swing arm and am I'm curious to know how much space the Pingle adds. I'll be due for a new tire in  few months. Right now I am running Dunlop E3s, but may change out the rear to the D402 again just for mileage.

Thanks
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

noliners

I run 140 s with no rubbing. I ran Metzlers and now I run Avons wide white walls, with 2002 stock belt. I recently switched to running a chain so my next tire will be a 150 Avon.
131 Roadking "No Replacement for Displacement"

mayor

Quote from: Paniolo on January 02, 2010, 08:06:22 AM
What's a Pingle Pully Spacer? Is that something that is added to the rear sprocket when you change out the tire? Is it like a bunch of shims that move the sprocket out and away from the wheel?

it's a one piece spacer that bolts between the rim and the pulley:

>How Wide Can You Go - Pingel Enterprise’s Rear Sprocket Spacer allows the installation of tires up to 142mm wide on 2000-2003 H-D FLH models without any other modification to the motorcycle.<
http://www.pingelonline.com/rear_sprocket_spacer.htm

from Dennis Kirk's web site:
•Easy-to-install .200 in. aluminum spacer fits between the rear wheel and the rear belt pulley and allows installation of tires up to 142mm wide without any other modification
Dennis Kirk part number# 805218

not sure whether you can gain another size with the newer swing arm or not.  Maybe Bruce (Maxheadflow) can comment.  He's got a 150mm on his '02 RK and still uses belt drive, but he modified a good bit to get that to work.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

akajjmon

Is .200 enough to cause belt alignment issues at the tranny end? :nix:

Ajayrk

Quote from: akajjmon on January 02, 2010, 10:13:55 AM
Is .200 enough to cause belt alignment issues at the tranny end? :nix:

No.  The 1-1/8" belt stock pulley projects to the left .150" farther than the stock 1-1/2" pulley.

You can fit a 150 tire with the 1.5" pulley if you use a .250 spacer behind the pulley and you remove .100" from the caliper axle mount on the swing arm side.  The left wheel spacer will have to be .100" longer.
AJ

HroadhogD1

If my memory serves me right, I had a 130(stock), and went to a 150.  The dealer said the 150's will fit some, but not others.  I thought that was a little strange.  Looks to me that they would fit all or none.     :wtf: :nix:

Paniolo

Quote from: HroadhogD1 on January 02, 2010, 09:23:16 PM
   If my memory serves me right, I had a 130(stock), and went to a 150.  The dealer said the 150's will fit some, but not others.  I thought that was a little strange.  Looks to me that they would fit all or none.     :wtf: :nix:

What make model and year is your bike?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

1997bagger

Avon 150 www on my 97 RK, tire was factory offset to the belt side. .250 spacer to center the tire in the fender, .250 pulley spacer, clearancing on the caliper bracket and needed to widen my rear lower fender support bracket.
If you need to get real creative for a little more fender clearance, cut down the upper fender mounts and it will slightly widen the fender, alot of work but is neat looking.
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?