I hope you guys talking up the Torque Monster cranks are right about 'em

Started by gryphon, November 27, 2008, 09:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

I been running S&S wheels for maybe the last 10 years. Stock Shovel wheels for a lot longer than that. But now I've  ran into a deal I can't pass up that involves torque Monsters. The package has one assembled crank with Torque Monster 4.25" stroke wheels complete with I beam rods. Assembled, trued, and balanced by T&O. Also comes with 2 new S&S 4" bore pistons and 2 S&S 4" bore cylinders. The pinion shaft is 1/4" longer for my 4" bore. These items are all new and the price to me is $625. Even though I only have about 15k on my 97 inch motor I can't pass up this deal. You guys that are running the TM wheels are always bragging about them so I sure hope ya really like 'em. This is going into my evo motor of course (my old shovels in my sons bike now) but I posted here because it's the only place I've heard of Torque Monsters. Zippers performance will cut my cylinders to replace the head gasket with a hi-temp o-ring. That will drop the head by .045 and will up my compression to about 10.2:1. I'll keep my 97" assembly just in case I need it as a backup.

monty101

Good price. You will never regret building that motor. wish it wasn't a evo but good thing is its got 4 in jugs..... 107 cubic inch..... go for it. You'll like that hi comp. too......Run it 2.5 final drive ratio and you will have a great road machine....

76shuvlinoff

Sounds like a great build John.  I have never ridden a bike with that assembly, let us know how it comes out.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

randallwhitman

Gryph......T & O have been building bottom ends longer than anyone in the business.  I have the TM wheels in my 103 shovel.  There are advantages and disadvantages to them.  If you're buildiing a highway bike, they're great because they develop inertia and soak up some vibration.  They also soak up power.  What I mean is, they take awhile to spin up when you nail the throttle.  If you're building a bar blaster, I wouldn't recommend them.  They won't be terrible, but a lighter set of wheels would be more responsive and might be more fun for "spirited" riding.  Sounds like you're also not building a long stroke.....another reason to use lighter wheels.  Hope this made sense.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

gryphon

Well, only time will tell if I like the heavier wheels. According to T&O these wheels are about 5 pounds heavier than stock EVO wheels which probably makes them pretty close to stock Shovelhead wheels. I know the Shovel wheels are heavier than the EVO's I just don't remember the actual number. I don't do a lot of stoplight to stoplight racing. As long as these wheels perform well above 2200rpm or so I'll be happy. For the price I just couldn't let this stuff go by. Either way, I got 'em now so I guess Ill find out later this winter. I'm actually kicking around the idea of buying another set of cases if I can find a good price on ebay. That way I'll have petty much a whole extra motor sitting around (my 97 incher) if I ever need it.

randallwhitman

That's going to be a big Evo you're building, and with it's far superior combustion chamber, that bike's really going to haul ass.......the heavier wheels won't even be noticed.  Sounds like fun to me!  How many cubes will it be?  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

monty101

torquemonster flywheels are really noticeable performance wise with a 4 speed. You shift so much with a 6 speed you don't really notice the torque if you are comparing it to a s&s bottom end that is hooked up to a 4 speed. With a 4 speed you immediately notice that when you slow down to 40 in 4th you don't need to downshift. It will still putt like a stocker. I've got a 89 incher with a 4 speed and 96 incher with a 6 speed. I used to run a 84 inch panshovel and it had s&s flywheels. I hated them because it had to be shifted all the time....All I know is my 96 incher will run 2 up all day long at 90 mph and it will haul ass bar to bar too. It's got a 2.48 final drive ratio and gets 42 mpg with a s&s shorty. They were dynamically balanced by t/o and the vibration is minimal and you can actually see through the rear view mirrors. Gryphon you will love it. I guarantee.........

gryphon

Only gonna be 107ci. Funny but when I first started riding, 80ci was considered a monster motor. I had been keeping an eye on ebay hoping an Axtell shovel topend would come up. I had thought about building a 103ci shovel motor.  Couldn't pass up this new stuff for the price though and I really like the idea of having pretty much a spare motor. Gonna take my time and gather up the last few things I'm gonna need. Winters coming anyway.

76shuvlinoff

Those Axtell jugs are on the list for my S&S shovel too...... but I'm at least 2 years from that move.

...maybe   :wink:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

randallwhitman

Don't mean to steal the thread, but I've got those Axtell jugs and they're the best!  My shovel started life (after being a 74" cop bike) as a 98" SnS Sidewinder......3 5/8 X 4 3/4.  Very fast and LOTS of vibration.  Decided to take it down to 3 5/8 X 4 1/2.....93".  Then I discovered Axtell.  Destroked the shovel to 4 1/2 and went up on the bore to 3 13/16 for 103".....great combo.  I rode to Miami Beach today for lunch with the OL and then went for a little squirt by myself to straighten out some minor tuning glitch.....that thing REALLY hauls ass.....I had sort of forgotten.  I highly recommend the Axtell product, and they're also nice folks.  Randy    :wink:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX