REPRINT FROM OLD HTT: THROTTLE RESPONSE FOR EVOS "ALPHASAMUEL"

Started by ClassicRider2002, November 27, 2008, 10:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

November 27, 2008, 10:54:52 AM Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:05:36 AM by ClassicRider2002
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC: THROTTLE RESPONSE FOR EVOS "ALPHASAMUEL"  05-16-01

From: AlphaSamuel  (Original Message) Sent: 5/16/2001 11:20 AM    Message 1 of 1 in Discussion
Want more rapid throttle response out of your CV equipped EVO?  Instead of trying to cut down the diaphragm spring just go down to your Dealer and buy the one for the TC-88 CV carb.  Works great.  Samuel

Comment By Me, "ClassicRider2002":
This is an interesting "THREAD" that would be great to hear additional feedback on!!!!

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

This thread is sooooooo old, HTT used to keep track of "reply's differently....lol

From: Stoner Sent: 5/16/2001 11:36 AM   Message 2 of 1 in Discussion
Sounds good. I take it there is no noticable flutter problems? Seems I remember hearing that cutting the spring could cause some flutter from the slide so I never tried it. When I installed a Yost Powertube in my CV I also drilled out the two vents (1/8") in the slide as recommended for "96" and up, this improved the response but, if the shorter spring works with no problems I  would also be willing to try that. Ride safe.

From: Mike52  Sent: 5/16/2001 1:40 PM   Message 3 of 1 in Discussion
Samuel, you've really got my curiousity up on this TC carb spring. Using your advice posted on other threads here, I went to the V-twin Cafe web site to read up on carb jetting and set-up. One of their suggestions for better throttle response was to use the diaphragm spring from the SE 44mm CV carb, spring part # 27728-99. After searching all 5 H-D dealers in the Tampa Bay area, I finally had to special order the spring along with some of the jets recommended. Now my question is this, is this basically the same spring that comes in the TC carb? Did I waste my money ordering the #27728-99 spring? 
Thanks for all of your help and advice,   Mike

From: AlphaSamuel Sent: 5/16/2001 4:36 PM   Message 4 of 1 in Discussion
Tis the same spring.  But then, sometimes the people behind the counter don't know to cross check.  Samuel 

From: Mike52  Sent: 5/16/2001 9:24 PM   Message 5 of 1 in Discussion
Thanks Samuel, I guess I have a "spare" spring now.......

From: Mike52  Sent: 5/19/2001 12:17 PM   Message 6 of 1 in Discussion
Samuel, just a follow up on this topic. I finally got the carb jets, needle, and spring yesterday. I cross checked the part numbers on the piston diaphragm springs and according to my factory parts manual for my '01 Softail the OEM TC88 spring is part #27162-89 and the one recommended by the V-Twin Cafe how-to article was #27728-99. They are probably so close, wouldn't notice much of a difference though. Last night I modified the carb per the V-Twin article for a TC88 with the 48 slow jet, 165 main jet, '88 XL needle, SE 44mm CV diaphragm spring, and I drilled out the vacuum port in the carb slide to 1/8". This morning I made the final adjustments to the idle and mixture screw and took it for a test ride. To say that I was pleased with my 1st time inside the carb would be an understatement, it took throttle from idle very well while sitting in the garage,and on the test ride the engine pulled very hard through all the gears with no flutter or dead spots. I'll be riding from Tampa,Fl to Atlanta,GA next weekend to visit relatives so that will give me the chance to read the plugs and check fuel mileage.   
Thanks for all of your help, you made this a very easy project.  Mike

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Anything added beyond this point is new information.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

I certainly would love to hear back from Mike further on this topic or from others that have actually done this.....any more thoughts.....I think I am going to do this to my 1999 FXR2.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2