May 09, 2024, 04:44:38 AM

News:

smokin

Started by 94sporty, January 05, 2010, 05:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94sporty

ok if my bike sits for a little while and then i go to start it. i pull the choke out twist the throttle a couple of times and then push the button. it starts right up every time but it smokes pretty good for a while until i warm it up and then turn the choke off it doesnt smoke anymore and runs fine. its just until it gets warmed up. any ideas thanks

mayor

warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

94sporty

white smoke... but the bike has recently been rebuilt like only 1000 mi. on it. recently replaced cams and put roller rockers in it

Hillside Motorcycle

Sounds like a seal or guide.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Panzer

My guess would be the valve guides are showing minor wear.
I say minor, because the amount of work to replace guides isn't worth it to eliminate the amount of smoke you're seeing.
But that's just me.
I think the weeping guides mixed with the rich fuel by using the choke is magnifying the smoke
I believe Mr. Mayor is trying to decipher the color because oil smoke is bluish leaning toward oil ring blow by.
Not in your case though.
I'm not an expert, just an ordinary wrench-er.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

andyxlh

Hello mate
if your engine has recently been rebuilt I would have thought it would be unlikely to be oil smoke. They can use a bit during the bedding in process, but not enough to do that if all is well I would think. Perhaps it is something simpler. A few years ago I had a full engine rebuild on my '96flhr. I adjusted the carb as recommended - increasing the size of the idle and main jets to go with the hot cam and flowed heads. The bike ran great, but would blow white smoke when started and if left at idle when hot. I downsized the idle jet and fiddled with the mixture and that fixed it. It took a little bit of fiddling to get the mixture right but there's a lot of info on this site:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm
I wouldn't do the slide and spring mods shown, but the rest is good.
You can check the engine's condition with the compression tester which will give you an idea if there is enough oil getting through for you to see it like that. Remember you can burn a lot of oil in an engine before you actually see the oil smoke.
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

mayor

Quote from: Panzer on January 09, 2010, 08:18:34 PM
My guess would be the valve guides are showing minor wear.
I say minor, because the amount of work to replace guides isn't worth it to eliminate the amount of smoke you're seeing.
But that's just me.
I think the weeping guides mixed with the rich fuel by using the choke is magnifying the smoke
I believe Mr. Mayor is trying to decipher the color because oil smoke is bluish leaning toward oil ring blow by.
Not in your case though.
I'm not an expert, just an ordinary wrench-er.

yep, that's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm not an expert either, but I've owned enough Mopars back in the day to know about leaking valve seals.   :wink:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Panzer

Now, if only we could get his reply.
Waiting........... :missed:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

94sporty

the guides and seals were replaced when rebuilt. but i took the bike apart for right now to get painted so i hope it just needs some carb tunin. thanks

FLTRI

Quote from: 94sporty on January 05, 2010, 05:25:35 PM
ok if my bike sits for a little while and then i go to start it. i pull the choke out twist the throttle a couple of times and then push the button. it starts right up every time but it smokes pretty good for a while until i warm it up and then turn the choke off it doesnt smoke anymore and runs fine. its just until it gets warmed up. any ideas thanks
Try starting it without the choke and only 1 twist of the throttle. You could be restarting it way too rich and it is washing the oil right off the cylinder walls.
If the tune is close you should not need the choke unless it is completely cold as with first start of the day.
HTH,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open