April 28, 2024, 08:14:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

delayed projects?

Started by 76shuvlinoff, November 28, 2008, 06:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

November 28, 2008, 06:17:33 AM Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:19:39 AM by 76shuvlinoff
 I'm sure you guys have a few projects that are at various levels of completion so maybe you'll understand my rant. Have you ever had one you just can't get off the ground so to speak? 
  I've been chasing a project around for a few years and though I still collect a part here and there I just never take the plunge.  Last winter my excuse was I needed to create a warm place to work. Then my regular bike needed new rings and a + .010 bore. This year I got the green flag for a lift table, did the research then I had to start laying guys off at work so I pulled my cards closer to my vest and again I am thinking now is not time.
On top of that as time goes by the theme keeps changing in my head and the more I look through the "show me" threads the more I see things I'd incorporate into something I'd put together and my confusion deepens.   AAAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgghhhh!
At least I haven't sold anything off yet so I'm still in a good place and I'll quit whining now.  :embarrassed:

Mr. still stitting on the fence waiting for that moment of clarity,
Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

bob_e95482

I've been working on a hydraulic table lift for about 4 years now. I've got most of the parts, and hardly any money into it. But as I type this I'm looking at a Handy lift clone on CL with vise, front and side extensions for $400.

Old Crow

Yup, but my unfinished project is a '61 F-100.  Got the truck(which is all stock and runs good like it is), a complete 302 out of a '72 Mustang, and a complete '82 F-100 as a donor truck for the trans, rear end and anything else I might need. 
All I need to do is finish the shovel so I'll have room in the garage to put the truck.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

shovelbill

hey 76,
i delayed putting a roof on my house. gave her the house in the divorce, dont have to put roof on. sometimes procrastination is a good thing! now i can build a bike anyway i want........haha
build it, bust it.....figure out why

bob_e95482

I did pick up that table lift Friday. Rode the shovel to my shop yesterday. It's being torn down to the frame. The motor's coming apart also. I have so far:
RevTech 5in4 tranny
Thunderheader
Progressive Suspension 440 shocks
Chrome spoke 21"
Chrome spoke 16"
Chrome front axle
32A charging system
Chrome lifter blocks
Made in USA lifters
Extended rear brake pedal
Beveled wrap-around oil bag
Yesterday i removed the tanks, oil bag, pipes, battery, coil, etc.
Left case has a loose Timken bearing insert. Gotta get that fixed. Hope to have it finished this spring.
Meanwhile my '50 Indian Warrior bobber project languishes. And so it goes.

bob_e95482

Here's a pic:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

catmcaw

Mark
  I know the feelin.  Winter is here and I can't set in this chair for the next 3-4 months.   Need to get started on one of the many/few things I've had runnin through my mind but Just can't get sparked.

76shuvlinoff

cat, LOL  It seems everytime I get focused something happens to derail me.   I'm thinking after I get past Christmas maybe I'll get a better feel for the economy and decide if I want to dissect a perfectly useable bike just to scratch an itch. (who the hell am I kidding?)  My wife told me I should do whatever I want to or it'll drive me nuts. Then she pointed out that I can use the treadmill for free.  :cry:

Dang bob, I'm not even gonna show you where I fiddle, nice shop!    :up:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

ricochet

If I though of them as delayed projects I'd go out of my mind.  About 3 or 4 years ago I was considering adding a few cubes to my 61 in knuckle.  Well one thing led to another and after a couple of years I have a new 86 inch motor about 80 % complete waiting on finishing up some heads and installing the timing gears.  In the mean time I get this wicked itch to do something really different and build a big inch Pan with all new and trick stuff.  That's about 75% complete also including the mill and all the running gear less front end. So, winters here, the snows starting to fly and what am I doing...... Finishing an addition I started about 4 years ago.  At least I'm not bored.

It's not the destination man, it's the tripppppppp!

ricochet

MMOCGuy

Four years ago I tore my '78 Shovel apart for a complete cosmetic rebuiild planning on having it done in a year's time. Like everyone else, I then ran out of money so the bike is still sitting in pieces. Well, at least, I've been able to collect some of the parts I needed and I have gotten the frame painted and the new front end installed so I guess it ain't all bad! The bad thing that I am now stuck without a bike to ride and that is giving me some motivation to concentrate on getting it back on the road.

Norm.

76shuvlinoff

Glad to read I'm not the only one.
Got a titled 79 swingarm frame sitting on the shelf, I plan on using the aftermarket drive train and suspension I'm running now for the project. I know it's always a bigger project than it looks like on paper but I've got a good jump on it. Just can't get out of the starting blocks yet.

They say life is what happens while you're making other plans.  LOL!

later

- Ernest Hemingway