May 07, 2024, 02:10:52 PM

News:

new forks for a 2003 FLHTC

Started by superdave592, November 28, 2008, 07:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superdave592

November 28, 2008, 07:01:14 AM Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:48:02 AM by superdave592
Happy Thanksgiving to all I have a 2003 Flhtc it needs a fork oil change. Lots of people go with the 06 new forks Left # 46495-06  right 46502-06 these are better right?? Also they have oil in them ready to go? Would you rechange the oil to be sure of the amount in them ? Some use a different weight of oil and not the type E or whatever?? What weight in after market oil? I have read all the old post but would like to see this info in a new post forum. Who has the legs at a good price? and how much. Any other info you recomend ? All info welcomed .       Thanks inadvance

eglideic

It's easier than you think. Leave the right side alone, it's fine.
Just replace the left fork tube and the internal components with the exact same components used on the rght side.
The left lower leg or slider is fine and can be reused.
Just check the factory parts book and you will see that this is the set up used in the 2003 Road Kings. They don't have the cartridges in their front ends. Only the fairing models do.

crazy joe

I have asked this question before but have never gotten a answer
(I don't think anyone knows for sure) Why the cartridge on the left side of the dressers.  Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving

smoserx1

QuoteWhy the cartridge on the left side of the dressers.

This is what I read in a magazine, so I am sure it is sheer speculation.  Harley was concerned about the wobble issue common to older FLHT models, so this was done to combat this problem.  It did not work, so after a few years they got rid of the cartridge.  Like you said, no one outside of Harley really knows, and it it were for this reason, no one inside Harley would say, because that would be admitting a problem and opening them up to litigation.

waskier01

I still recommend cross-drilling the damping rods and installing '06 emulators.  Cheapest suspension improvement above shock oil changing.

superdave592

please note right fork # has been changed to 46502-06 in case a reader was to use these parts