April 30, 2024, 02:14:04 AM

News:

RoadKing Woe's

Started by JamLazyAss, November 28, 2008, 09:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clintster

I am not challenged that way, but the seat I have lowered me and moved me forward.  The Sundowner has held up pretty good and it loved me forward and lowered me as well.
Drive fast, take chances

Big_Bulky_RK

Guitarplayer is right, I did change the handle bars as well.  I guess my final conclusion would be, anything that makes you more comfortable riding will make the bike handle better. 
Michigan,    Pot Hole Capital of the US

redrokit8

Hate to say it, and I've been there, but sometimes you've just got the wrong bike for your needs and size.
I struggled with an Ultra due to my small frame and 32" inseam. For me it was very hard to control in stop & go traffic and backing into parking spaces was an adventure especially if you were to slightly tip it to one side. I was fortunate enough to be able to switch to a Road Glide and the difference to me was worth the dollars spent. A whole different ball game. Stupid me for not doing my research ahead of time. :bf:
Vietnam Vet 66-67, 4th & 25th Inf Divisions CIB
LZ Hope
'09 FLTR  Roseland NJ

Bigs

You might want to try a HD Sundowner seat. It would put you a little lower and most guys say it's more comfortable than the RK seat. Two of my friends changed to these on their RK's as well as my son. Harley would probably put these on the new bikes but then nobody would change the seats and then they wouldn't make $$$ on them.
   Bigs

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Dakota on November 29, 2008, 06:28:19 AM
  Keep your eyes looking up, never down, and if you have to stop quickly use plenty of rear brake compared to the front.  If you keep your eyes up (if you aren't already) you'll be surprised that you'll always stop balanced.
I'd qualify that by saying that most of the stopping power comes from the front brake. Get used to using both brakes together. Find a deserted parking lot and practice panic stops so you're not hesitant to use max braking in an emergency. It would be a shame to crash because you're not comfortable using the front brake.

Jim
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Dakota

Quote from: Jim Bronson on November 29, 2008, 05:10:49 PM
Quote from: Dakota on November 29, 2008, 06:28:19 AM
  Keep your eyes looking up, never down, and if you have to stop quickly use plenty of rear brake compared to the front.  If you keep your eyes up (if you aren't already) you'll be surprised that you'll always stop balanced.
I'd qualify that by saying that most of the stopping power comes from the front brake. Get used to using both brakes together. Find a deserted parking lot and practice panic stops so you're not hesitant to use max braking in an emergency. It would be a shame to crash because you're not comfortable using the front brake.

Jim

You're right, I guess I didn't say that quite correctly.  I really just meant to use a little more rear brake in the last foot or two, but use both for quickest stops.
Experience is something you get right after you needed it.

Scurvy

hrm, I thought maybe this was a joke thread; you know, someone trolling...
If you are not in total control of your motorcycle, maybe its time to get something "smaller". Maybe because I have a 30" inseam I've had to work harder at it? Nah, I just know how to ride.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

1997bagger

We always kid a short legged fellow rider about getting Kiss boots, he can't back the bike up and needs help at times.
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?

Scurvy

Yup, never embarrassed about asking the Ol to push. Most times I try to pick a spot that has a slope working in my favor.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

starrider

November 29, 2008, 08:04:40 PM #34 Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:13:00 PM by Starrider
You  really have to practice and know how brake with  more practice.....hit that rear brake too hard for a fast stop and you could LOCK UP the rear wheel...SKIDDING FASTER into that crash... As most schools teach...your stopping power is your front brakes (70 front 30 back)...

When slowing to a easy stop.....i feather off with the rear brakes...

I think braking has to be emphasized more to new riders...imho...

Hawg Holler

I agree with the poster who discussed braking technique easing off the front brake just before coming to a stop and finishing with the rear brake only. I'm 6' but had a problem with the Road King when I first got it due to the enormous increase in weight compared to my earlier bikes. And my wife and I haven't gotten lighter over the years either. At very slow speeds, if you learn to use the clutch friction zone and the rear brake you will learn that the big Harley will handle like a kitten. You will not muscle this bike around like a motocrosser no matter how big you are; you have to learn to harness it's power like you would a spirited horse.

I, for one, don't believe you have to be able to put both feet on the ground. I started riding bikes when I could only touch the ground with one foot and really never had a problem with it. Now, like the motor officers, I still like to keep my right foot on the brake and left foot on the ground, which forms a stable tripod. This is an especially good skill to have when you're starting out on a steep hill, as you can ease off on the rear brake as you apply clutch and throttle.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic

JamLazyAss

I still like to keep my right foot on the brake and left foot on the ground, which forms a stable tripod

I don't buy it.
When I'm riding two up and coming to a stop, I want both feet on the ground.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

s-glide76

I agree with Craig about not needing to be able to put both feet flat on the ground to ride a motorcycle. But you do have to be a little more creative.
Remind passengers not to squirm around comming up to a stop and while stopped.
One of the things I get a kick out of is watching people struggle to push their bikes uphill to back up to a curb. If the curb is uphill ride straight in so you can coast backout to leave. If it's downhill to the curb than of course back in.
Pay attention to the crown of the road when you stop and than use the foot on the higher side and come to a stop that's clear of oil and sand.
If everybody thought you needed to be able to plant both feet on the ground flatfooted they wouldn't sell very many dirtbikes, sporttouring bikes or crotch rockets.
I'd rather ride a motorcycle that I needed to tip toe at a stoplight than to ride one that doesn't have any suspension travel left or that scrapes hard parts in the corners.                                                                                                       Later, Mike

PC_Hater

November 30, 2008, 04:35:06 AM #38 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 04:39:00 AM by PC_Hater
Balance. Keep the bike balanced at all times.
You should be able to bring the bike to a halt with both feet up, and THEN put both feet down.
My S.O is a lovely big girl, weighs more than me but won't say how much. 38F going on 38G tells you all you need to know! I barely notice she is there on my Road Glide. But this summer she brought too much luggage with her. Two dresses! Why? Heavily loaded I damned near dropped the bike in the arse-end of Belgium.
Last year I dropped the bike getting out of a campsite in Portugal. Sharp right hand turn downhill with a fence and a BIG drop down the hill if I got it wrong. The 'correct' way to do it was a lot of throttle and heave the bike over and drive it round. But I chickened out and down we went...
In August a mate of mine rode my RG and I rode his Triumph Daytona 150hp triple. The first thing he commented on was how difficult the bike was to ride at speeds below 20mph...
In "Used Harley Davidson Guide 1990" by Alan Girdler, he comments on the big touring bikes to the effect that riding a big touring bike at low speed is as difficult as riding a Ducati at high speed - and he is right. The difference is, one causes embarrassment and bruises, the other can be terminal.

Those reverse gear options look better every day...

Meanwhile, the SO has a UK spec Nightster but with the unbelievably low US spec rear shocks fitted. She can get her feet flat to the floor with both knees bent. And she can STILL manage to drop it! I told her she would be in trouble if she embarrassed me by dropping it when she took it in for service. She managed to behave this time! But if she panics or feels tired then whumpf! Down she goes. Does she get sympathy from me? Nope.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

CraigArizona85248

November 30, 2008, 07:28:24 AM #39 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:30:03 AM by CraigArizona85248
Quote from: JamLazyAss on November 29, 2008, 10:16:02 PM
I still like to keep my right foot on the brake and left foot on the ground, which forms a stable tripod

I don't buy it.
When I'm riding two up and coming to a stop, I want both feet on the ground.

You should learn the technique descirbed.  I was shown this technique after years of putting both feet down.  Now I alway keep my right foot on the brake at a stop unless there is reason not too.  What makes this a little more stable is that you already have the bike leaned a little to the left so that's the only direction it's going to go.  When you have the bike sitting upright at a stop (balanced both feet on the ground) and your passenger squirms or something else unexpected happens it can go either right or left.  When you are using the method Howg Holler described you are planted solidly to the left and things don't move around unexpectedly.

Don't dismiss something because you haven't tried it and have not experienced it.  If you do try it, don't expect that you will immediately feel an improvement either.  Anytime you change something like this you will initially feel more unstable.  The benefits come after you get used to it.

-Craig

Jim Bronson

Sorry but my country boy logic isn't following this. If the bike is supported only on the left side with the left foot down and the right foot on the brake, and your passenger leans right, won't the bike tend to fall to the right? With both feet down, it doesn't matter which way the passenger leans. The bike will be supported either direction.

I've used both the two-foot and one-foot method for years when riding solo, and I can't see a big difference except starting off on a steep hill it's usually better to use the rear brake to prevent drifting backwards.

I would never encourage a new rider to buy a bike he/she can't flatfoot or can't be lowered to allow him to flatfoot it. I've seen too many parking lot crashes that I believe were at least partly caused by inability to stabilize the bike using both feet. Experienced riders may get away with it.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

crazy joe

You said it all Craig,

Don't dismiss something because you haven't tried it and have not experienced it.  If you do try it, don't expect that you will immediately feel an improvement either...............  The benefits come after you get used to it.

JamLazyAss

C'mon guys.
I've been riding since the late sixties. Rode em all. Some with front & rear brakes, others with no brakes (to speak of).
My original point here was to ask if anyone else found the RoadKing's to be top heavy.
And how do they address it.

Looks like many others do have the same concern as I.

I appreciate and encourage all input, but also wanted to get this thread a little refocused.

Ya gotta love this site.
Viva HTT  :pop:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Jim Bronson on November 30, 2008, 06:14:54 PM
Sorry but my country boy logic isn't following this. If the bike is supported only on the left side with the left foot down and the right foot on the brake, and your passenger leans right, won't the bike tend to fall to the right? With both feet down, it doesn't matter which way the passenger leans. The bike will be supported either direction.

Yes... if you attempt to keep the bike standing virtually straight up with only the left foot down and the passanger leans right, you will have to drop your right foot.  But the key is to get the bike a bit left of center.  You want to be solidly planted on that left foot.  That way if the passeger leans right you stay planted to the left (unless you have a really unruley passenger LOL).  Also if the passenger leans to the left you are solidly planted there already.  It's a very steady position to be in.

I'm not trying to say "this is how it should be done and all other ways are inferrior".  But it was a tip that I was shown by a pro riding instructor about 8 years ago.  Since I started using that method I haven't switched back.  Rode 20 years the other way.  Bottom line, you gotta find what works for you and do that.

-Craig

HIPPO

No, they are not top heavy, but they are just plain heavy.

With bikes this heavy I find that the most important thing, especially with a passenger, or if the ground is wet or there is sand, etc, is to have boots with very good traction.

I find most boots on the market very inadequate as far as traction, what works well for me are sticky motorcycle boots (like Alpinestars or Sidi). They even make kevlar armored ones in black that look like hi-top sneakers.

starrider

December 02, 2008, 10:13:55 PM #45 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:48:36 PM by Starrider
Agree with Hippo...Roadkings are just heavy bikes...and the trick is to learn how to move the weight around with finess using and learning techniques either by just accumulating miles on the clock...

Heavy is when  you have to pick one up...ugh!..... Otherwise i can ride with (no hands) and change lanes just with body english...if i wanted to...(  not recommended as this can cause death or serious injury)

96FLSTF

Just a thought, but some time ago my wife had issues with stopping on her bike. She could ride the heck out of her bike on just about any condition, she just couldn't stop. Looked like the ol german guy on the 3 wheel bike on Laugh-in. We used to call her "Fall-Down-Sharon". Finally after a year of watching her fall over I made it a point to take her in a parking lot to see what she was doing wrong. Something as simple as (She musta missed that part during her MSF Course) making sure the bars are straight during the stop. Most of us do it automatically from habit. Once she made a conscious effort to make sure the bars are straight she never fell over since........................

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")