April 30, 2024, 11:15:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

RoadKing Woe's

Started by JamLazyAss, November 28, 2008, 09:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

I ride a Roadking but have had a problem since day one.
It seems to have a very high center of gravity.
I'm about 5' 10" or 11".
I'm fine when riding alone, BUT with the touring seat on and my wife aboard the problem arrises.
Whenever I come to a stop, the bike feels like it wants to flop over. I feel like a midget.
Anyone else ever experience anything like this?
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

05RK1

YES!!!!  I ride a 2005 rk classic and have the sme problem.  I'm 5'6" so it is more prevailant for me.  I solved the problem by getting my wife licensed and her own bike.

starrider

Just a guess....might be in the way you are braking to a stop. i use both brakes 70 front 30 back generally until i come to a stop...then i feather off with the rear brake only from anywhere from 30 mph on down...depending on how fast you are comming to a stop.

inotherwords (imho) i find that if i use the front brake in stopping...and you have the bars slightly turned...it may bring you down...hence feather off with the rear only when comming to stop...(imo).

In panic stopping ...a different senario may be used...

ironhead19732

Yes I know what your talking about !!! I'm 5'9 and since 1959 Have owned
only Harley sportsters, well 2 years ago I traded my 1950 Olds for a 2002
Honda Shadow cruiser and the passenger seat is about a foot higher than
my seat. A month ago took my wife for a ride on it , turned into a
gravel driveway didn't see the pot hole and we did indeed flop over !!!
going to stick with my sportster, Oh and also caught hell from my wife   

deltafarmer

Stay off the front brake at slow speeds, especially when in a turn, NO MATTER HOW SLIGHT11

harleyjt

Quote from: deltafarmer on November 28, 2008, 11:42:45 AM
Stay off the front brake at slow speeds, especially when in a turn, NO MATTER HOW SLIGHT11

Yep-quickest way there is to lay one down..... don't ask me how I know!
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Bigs

I'm 5'7" and I had some trouble with my Road Glide especially with my wife on the back when we would come to a stop. I would put my foot down but sometimes had trouble getting traction and keeping the bike up. I looked at my boots and found the tread was mighty thin so I bought a new pair with the Vibram soles - problem solved.
   Bigs

JamLazyAss

I feel like I need those friggin High Platform John Travolta Disco Shoes from the seventies to be flat footed  :smilep:

Faast Ed

November 28, 2008, 12:55:32 PM #8 Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:47:43 PM by Faast Ed
Nothin' that the purchase of a low sittin' Softail won't cure.

Sounds like somebody has chosen the wrong model bike to ride.
≡Faast Ed>

FATMAN

Have the bike lowered.  Worked for my cousin @ 5'9''.
More to the picture than meets the eye.

Kansas

I replaced my thoroughly worn out Red Wing boots with a pair of custom made thick soled Wescoe boots and was shocked how much they altered the relationship between  me and my feet to the bike and to the ground.  Maybe thicker boots would help.  I'm replacing my Low Rider with a Softy Deluxe and appreciate having my feet flat on the ground. I'm 5'7". The Road Kings and big baggers seem top heavy to me and intimidating.  Not for me, thank you.

JamLazyAss

Can you just replace the shocks to lower it, or should you do the frontend too?

Also, will Roadglide shocks work to lower the RK?
I heard they will fit and are 1 inch shorter.

Jim Bronson

You should always be able to flatfoot your bike with your legs bent and without stretching.  Should be able to pull to a stop and plop both feet down easily and lean the bike side-to-side a bit without the high foot coming off the ground. The Deluxe and Heritage are pretty low and are good for inseam challenged riders.

As others have commented, NEVER grab the front brake in a turn. You will be pulled down like a magnet.

Jim

Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

mark61

Quote from: JamLazyAss on November 28, 2008, 09:45:59 AM
BUT with the touring seat on and my wife aboard the problem arrises.

We really need a pix of the wife before we can determine the problem!  In my experiance-not married lots of different passangers-some women just seem to ride "heavy" and some ARE top heavy! Passanger really does make a difference in the bike's handling!

mark61

Phu Cat

On the EG's, the passenger is up higher than the driver, causing her weight to have more leverage and negatively affecting your successfully balancing the bike at low speeds.  But there's a way to over come the additional negative leverage:  Practice real low speed maneuvers by dragging the back brake as you stop using the front brake.  Planning ahead is essential, but what part of bike riding isn't?  Sure, if you hit the front brake too hard it can present a problem.  But you do practice that, don't you?  In a tricky area I also slip the clutch a little as I am almost at a stop.

Think this won't work?  Try riding in as small a circle as you can.  Then try it again dragging the back brake and slipping the clutch.  You will surprise yourself.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

simmz

The 09's really seem to sit up high, I picked up a low profile solo seat for riding solo and I'm going to have the stock seat modified to lower me down in the saddle another inch or two.
I'd rather go this route than give up some suspension travel with the lower shocks.

simmz
Smoky Mountains Tennessee

bigpete1

Quote from: JamLazyAss on November 28, 2008, 09:45:59 AM
I ride a Roadking but have had a problem since day one.
It seems to have a very high center of gravity.
I'm about 5' 10" or 11".
I'm fine when riding alone, BUT with the touring seat on and my wife aboard the problem arrises.
Whenever I come to a stop, the bike feels like it wants to flop over. I feel like a midget.
Anyone else ever experience anything like this?

[what year is the road king ? i have a lowering kit and shorter air shocks that came with my 03 when i bought it ,also have lowering kit from my 95  if either one will aorkfor you let me know we can work something out .thanks pete

JamLazyAss

PoorUB

How many miles do you have on the bike? I ride an '05 Ultra, the bike before that was a '85 Honda V30! (400 pound bike to a 800 pound bike!) I can say that standing still on the Ultra scared the hell out of me for some time! The more miles I put on the better I am about the whole deal, but I still pay pretty close attention of the road when I stop. Some sand, or oil on the road makes a pretty nervous stop! Practice stopping and putting both feet down after the stop. Keep the bike upright as possible. And last, don't try to stop it when the bike wants to lay down and rest. The sucker will just take you with! I have a riding buddy that has not been able to ride for a year from when he tried to hold up his Ultra. Messed his back up good!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Jim Bronson on November 28, 2008, 05:50:15 PM
You should always be able to flatfoot your bike with your legs bent and without stretching.  Should be able to pull to a stop and plop both feet down easily and lean the bike side-to-side a bit without the high foot coming off the ground. The Deluxe and Heritage are pretty low and are good for inseam challenged riders.

If I applied that rule (flat footed with legs bent) the only bike I'd be able to ride is a rigid frame.  I've never had any trouble handling any of the touring bikes and I can't come close to flat footing on those.  When you are vertically challenged (like me) you learn to adapt or you don't ride.  Not riding is not an option.

-Craig

Big_Bulky_RK

I'm not sure which touring seat your using.  I bought the Harley comfort stitch (pillow) because my wife thought it would offer better comfort for the long haul.  She liked it because she could now see over my shoulder.  I found that it felt like turning a two wheeled semi tractor-trailer.  Stopping really sucked.  Switched to a Mustang which lowered the saddle about 2 inches for the wife and I and the balance was great.  I'm 6'3" and reaching the ground was never a problem, just the balance was poor with her on the back.  I believe the saddle makes more difference than the height of the bike if your only feeling this when your passenger is on board.  Good luck
Michigan,    Pot Hole Capital of the US

crazy joe

How about handle bars?   I have a 98 RK and a 03 EG both have the same frame
(I think) and both handle different because of the handle bars.

Flat Dog

November 29, 2008, 05:42:02 AM #22 Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:44:22 AM by Photo John
Do some squats & calf raises. I had the same problem-strengthened my legs in physical therapy after a cager ran me over, and now I don't have the wobble problem on the Ultra. Of course it hurts like hell, but I can hold it up better. ;)

Also, good bicycles are 'fitted' to the rider-touring Harleys should be the same seat wise. Spending the $ for a custom made seat that really fits you and not a $500 made for the masses rip off can make all the difference in the world.

Dakota

Keep your eyes looking up, never down, and if you have to stop quickly use plenty of rear brake compared to the front.  If you keep your eyes up (if you aren't already) you'll be surprised that you'll always stop balanced.
Experience is something you get right after you needed it.

Guitarplayer

Quote from: Big_Bulky_RK on November 28, 2008, 09:41:40 PM
I'm not sure which touring seat your using.  I bought the Harley comfort stitch (pillow) because my wife thought it would offer better comfort for the long haul.  She liked it because she could now see over my shoulder.  I found that it felt like turning a two wheeled semi tractor-trailer.  Stopping really sucked.  Switched to a Mustang which lowered the saddle about 2 inches for the wife and I and the balance was great.  I'm 6'3" and reaching the ground was never a problem, just the balance was poor with her on the back.  I believe the saddle makes more difference than the height of the bike if your only feeling this when your passenger is on board.  Good luck

Hey Big bulkey !  I remember the day you installed the taller handlebars as well.  That seemed to help alot more then the seat did.