April 30, 2024, 11:50:17 PM

News:

Cleaning Mag Wheels

Started by panz4ever, November 28, 2008, 10:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panz4ever

My 76 FLH came w/ the stock mag wheels and Goodyear tires. Original owner took them off and set them aside and added aftermarket. I am of the mindset to clean them up and put them on again. They are pretty cruddied up however. Tried a few things like Simple Green but they still do not clean up well what w/ all the nooks and crannies. Was thinking about the stuff they sell in auto parts stores that are sold as cleaners for mag wheels. But reading the labels  they say not for use on 'motorcycles'. Anyone know why? Anyone with tips or products that would work is greatly appreciated. Really do not want to bead blast them because it will take away the original finish.

MMOCGuy

I believe that they suggest not using the mag wheel cleaners on motorcycles because it would be virtually impossible not to get it on other surfaces such as the front fender and rear fender & swingarm (all of which are painted). The really good mag cleaner is very caustic and will destroy painted surfaces as well as any coating on aluminum parts. It probably also warns on the label not to use it on coated or painted mag wheels.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

76shuvlinoff

Got a set of 9 spoke factory mag rims in the barn waiting for my project. All I have is the rims no bearings or spacers yet and they need TLC.  Anyone just blast them and run them? Rattle can them? 

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

MMOCGuy

If I remember correctly from my old cast wheels form my FX and the 9 spokes that were on my Sportster, the edges of the spokes and the outter part of the rim (Outside part of where the tire bead seats) are "Turned". If you bead blast them, it will take the smoothness away. In my humble opinion, the contrast between these areas and the rough areas are what makes the cast wheels look good. If it were my choice, I'd work on cleaning the "Turned" areas and then rattle can the rough areas. Two things that I know of that work reasonable well for cleaning the smoother areas are NEVER-DULL cotton wadding and WD-40. That is what I use on my Corvette wheels before I show it.

Just my opine.

Norm.

04glide

I have used a pressure washer in the past with good results.

Lew

November 28, 2008, 06:53:00 PM #5 Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:55:43 PM by lewy1313
If they won't clean up with good ol elbow grease the best way short of bead blasting them is to use an acid based aluminum cleaner.  I use some stuff called Aluma Brite.  It used to be available from Narco Chemical located close to me but I think it's available from other sources too.  Stuff works great for making engine and tranny cases look like brand new also.  It will cause the shiny stuff to turn satin but it doesn't etch so bad that the shiny can't be polished up again. 
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

72fl

do a web search Hoosier metal polish, this stuff is great try it you'll like it.

panz4ever

Thx for all the replies. Went to the products recommended and the ones specifically that used an acid base. Went to Kragans Auto and got some stuff called Eagle 1. They make a variety of mag cleaner products. The mags for the 76 bikes are a very rough cast (looks like they carved them out and blasted them) so normal polishing products do not work except around the flat surfaces. the eagle 1 worked better than expected and at least they look decent. Even found the date code on them and I didn't know they would be stamped.

Yona

Have them blasted with walnut shell, did not hurt the turned finish on mine.......I use it when I need to clean any internal motor part, if by chance you miss any dust , it breaks down in oil and will not embed...It is use to clean alts, generators and starter parts and does not harm the wires or solder joints..............Just my experiences!!!!!!!!!

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.

DON'T POKE A BEAR WITH A SHORT STICK!!

stroker800

I like the pressure washer ,,then for polish Autosol...If real bad pressure then rubbing compound and buffer.
Dave

shov60

Plain old comet cleaner will work and and 99 cent laundry brush then to the car wash  good luck. You might have do it more than once depending how dirty they are.