May 02, 2024, 02:31:56 AM

News:

Clutch assembly removal

Started by fdrdr1, November 28, 2008, 01:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fdrdr1

Removed the sprocket nut and clutch assembly nut but I cannot remove the clutch assembly on my 91 FXR. The comp sprocket will move but the clutch assembly won't budge. Any ideas? Thx

choseneasy

Did you take the adjusting plate nut off only? The nut holding the clutch on is behind that and left hand thread.

fdrdr1

I removed both the adjusting plate and the left hand threaded nut behind that - but the assembly will not come off and I don't want to pry it off at this point - just trying to figure out why it won't move.

Snag

Quote from: fdrdr1 on November 28, 2008, 03:53:59 PM
I removed both the adjusting plate and the left hand threaded nut behind that - but the assembly will not come off and I don't want to pry it off at this point - just trying to figure out why it won't move.
What year and model ? Is the mainshaft splined or is it a tapered shaft ?
Snag
'90 FLHTCU "Strider"

fdrdr1

Traveler733

There is a bellville washer in the clutch hub. This washer is to keep the end play of he clutch hub to a minimum on the splined trans. shaft. It is installed at the factory under tension, and held in with a snap ring. Sometimes it gets hung up on the splines as you try to remove the clutch assembly. Reach in with a pick tool and release it from the splines. The clutch with chain and compensator should be removable then.

KlingonUltraRider

Your year transmission is a Keyed Taper Main Shaft. After you take the nut off, you will need a puller to take it off. Harley has the specific puller made to pull the transmission Clutch hub.

I made a plate to fit on the four bolts and used a gear puller. I put pressure on the puller and tapped on the center adjusting screw with a brass hammer to vibrate the clutch to pop off.

fdrdr1

I am confused now - the HD manual says that the hub and shaft are splined and also says I do not need a puller to remove it. I looked inside again and see nothing that was behind that nut.

choseneasy

If you have a 91 tranny it is definately  splined--it should just slide off. There should be no washer holding it in either. The primary chain adjuster is the only thing left and I'm sure you got that off. Was the clutch hub nut tight? I'm wondering if the splines got a little hammered by a bit of play. I would give her a few "gentle" taps with a dead-blow hammer to see if it will get at least some movement. Be gentle.

KlingonUltraRider

Quote from: fdrdr1 on November 28, 2008, 05:40:40 PM
I am confused now - the HD manual says that the hub and shaft are splined and also says I do not need a puller to remove it. I looked inside again and see nothing that was behind that nut.
My bad. I pulled out my books. I was wrong.

stroker800

Its a splined shaft.....there mite be locktight on the shaft(red)..you will need to apply some heat to remove....or it could be a simple cases of rusted on the shaft....go easy with the heat and try some spray ,,PB blaster???
  Dave

fdrdr1

Well - I have tried to gently use a mallet with no success. I have not tried any heat yet. It sure seems like something is holding it on but I feel like I do get some movement when attempting to remove it. Gettin pretty frustrated as it is holding me back from removing the inner primary.

Buddy WMC

Try to borrow a three or four jaw puller from Autozone or a friend, that should git er done. Heat should not be needed.

fdrdr1

Thanks for all input - after some patience and countless tries I was able to remove the assembly. It is a splined shaft but was just tough to remove, but eventually came off without the aid of anything. Thanks