May 09, 2024, 02:22:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which Andrews Cam?

Started by wrenchspinner3, January 12, 2010, 08:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrenchspinner3

I must do a cam chest service on a 2000 FLSTS, which has a failed stock rear camshaft and old style tensioners. My choice is S&S 510G gear drive, or the Andrews conversion kit. If I go with the Andrews kit, what would be the best grind to choose, for a relatively stock TC-88 with hi-flow air breather, re-worked CV carb and slightly freer flowing exhaust? I have the 510G in my 2003 FLHT and have been happy with it for the past 50,000KM's. The Softail has 137,000 km's on it, and the owner is an aggressive rider, so a little performance enhancemnt would be good. I believe his pinion shaft runout is within spec for gear drive, but I would have to re-check this. So, any comments on the best Andrews grind for this scenario?
Thanx

marc

wrenchspinner3

Thanx, read and understood. Looks like the Andrews 21N would be a good choice, just wondering about other folks real world experiences. I do see there is a lot of stuff in the archives.

Barrett

"and the owner is an aggressive rider" I think the 26 would fit him better.

fxrp

Quote from: Barrett on January 12, 2010, 11:27:49 AM
"and the owner is an aggressive rider" I think the 26 would fit him better.

:up:

Admiral Akbar

and the owner is a really aggressive rider" I think the 37 would fit him better

TXChop

Admiral Akbar

I won't tell Bob you wrote that,,,  :teeth:  MAx

hd06myway

I would say "agressive" riders would prefer a hi torque cam that gets it's power on early.  Andrews 21 fits the bill nicely.  Unless someone's idea of "agressive" is cruising on the hiways at 80 mph.... agressive riders are in and out of the throttle all the time, they need that get up and go, not some cam that doesn't come on until 3000 rpms...

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: hd06myway on January 12, 2010, 04:34:27 PM
I would say "agressive" riders would prefer a hi torque cam that gets it's power on early.  Andrews 21 fits the bill nicely.  Unless someone's idea of "agressive" is cruising on the hiways at 80 mph.... agressive riders are in and out of the throttle all the time, they need that get up and go, not some cam that doesn't come on until 3000 rpms...

Well the aggressive riders I know like HP.. You ain't getting that with a 21. Max

Tattoo

"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

05FLHTC

In a stock 88 by the time the other cams make that HP the 21N will have left them in the dust...
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

strokerjlk

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 05FLHTC on January 12, 2010, 05:15:14 PM
In a stock 88 by the time the other cams make that HP the 21N will have left them in the dust...

Well how come Hell-raiser's 6h 107 torquer  is getting smoked by a torqueless HTCC CNC 103 W8?

:gob:

Max

05FLHTC

xxxflhrci

26's worked for me. I don't think I would have liked 21's with my 2000 models 3:37 gearing.

05FLHTC

Quote from: xxxflhrci on January 13, 2010, 07:05:57 AM
26's worked for me. I don't think I would have liked 21's with my 2000 models 3:37 gearing.

What makes Ya say that? Maybe you would have liked 21's even more?  I mean do folks think the 26's are better then the 21's due to the fact that they are 5 numbers larger or what  :wtf:

MaxxV4

No, but the 26's come on a little later so with the 3:37 gears would probably be a good combo. I won't try to say they are better. I like the fact that they have a slightly lower lift with a tad more duration. To me, it seems like it would be easier on the valve train over the long term. (JMO) Some have claimed the it could run cooler with the longer duration, but I don't believe there is any real study to back this.
Mike

Bakon

Put in the S&S510 with gears and never open the cam chest again. Bullet proof.
Also has a very nice kick at 3k rpm an aggressive rider would like.
wasting time

hd06myway

Quote from: MaxHeadflow on January 12, 2010, 05:01:46 PM
Quote from: hd06myway on January 12, 2010, 04:34:27 PM

Well the aggressive riders I know like HP.. You ain't getting that with a 21. Max

Come on Max, your head sstuck in dyno sheets and drag strips, or western Kansas / eastern Colorado, come out to the North East, most registere dmotorcyclists in the US, and do some real ridin', where TQ is king and HP is for braggers. 

Besides, TQ is a real physics property, and HP is just a mathematical calculation!  :wink:

marc

I decided to go with the 26G's and was glad I did...Friend of mine went with the 21's and kept them for 1 season...I had Skreamin Chiken 203's before the 26G's...Dyno results with the 26G's are here...

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=1367.0