April 28, 2024, 02:32:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

placement of 02 sensor bungs

Started by 06RoadGlider, January 12, 2010, 09:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

06RoadGlider

I have an 06 Roadglide and looking at installing 02 sensors. I have reinhart true duals and the front pipe has a bung in it about 25 1/2" from the head. So I need to install a bung into real pipe. Couple ??
Do I need to match the same distance of the rear bung?
I have looked at 07's and they are mounted approx 6" from head and at about 45 deg angle. The bung I have in front pipe is straight in pipe do I do same with rear?
Are all sensors and bungs the same size (auto and bikes)?
What is better to use a wideband or norrow band? can they be bought at cheaper places than Harley? and do we have numbers and locations?
What size wire should one run and should one put any protection over wire?
Some of you have done this, is there anything one should watch out for?
any help would be great and thxs for all replies guys
JJ
" to all a great ride and return safe"

Ram

You have some good questions. However just a bit more info from you is needed.

What are you trying to do?

Just find out what your o2 is doing?

Are you trying to take your '06 and incorporate o2's like the '07s are and tune for closed loop operation?

Or, are you trying to use some other tuner with a WEGO II?

Lets start with that.
'06 FLHRI Road King, ULTRA dress, o2's, TTS tune, LSR 2-1 Black Holes quiet pipe

06RoadGlider

install 02 sensors into pipes and wire back to ECM and then get update on sert and tune bike to run better.

Ram

To add '07 o2 closed loop capabilities you will need stock '07 (narrow band) o2 sensors mounted in exhaust head pipes as you have mentioned.  You could get '07 head pipes with stock o2 bung placement already on them unless your running after market pipes.

To connect the stock o2 you will need to get the H-D parts and assemble the contact pin's, backshells, and seals and make a wiring harness to your ECU.  And connect it to the proper pins of the ECU back shell. The back shell comes apart some and you can slide two pins in and will have to splice the common. (not to use chassie clean or dirty ground either).

You will need to have a TYCO/AMP pin crimper and or take to the dealer and have them crimp on the contacts to the wiring harness you have built. If the harness is not built correctly and the contacts don't seat into the connectors at the ECU or the plugs to the o2s then the o2's never light off and all needs redoing.

Get a copy of an FLHxxx series manual for the '07's and you will see how the wiring diagram needs to be laid out for your wiring harness too.

If you want a pre-assembled harness, contact Herko he can make one for a fee, if he doesn't aready have one on hand made up.

I have made my own, and have had zero problems with assy, installation, or tuning my '06 FLHRI 88 TC in close loop like with an '07 starter map from TTS Master Tuner.

Best of luck. It is not all that inexpensive to do but I think well worth it in heat reduction, and self tune-ability for future mod's.
'06 FLHRI Road King, ULTRA dress, o2's, TTS tune, LSR 2-1 Black Holes quiet pipe

06RoadGlider

thxs Ram for your reply
so if I have true dual reinharts with one bung in front pipe and is about 25 1/2" from head do I need to match that for back pipe where I weld in bung? What wire gage should one go with? any other info you can tell me I am all ears...lol

Ram

January 13, 2010, 04:11:20 PM #5 Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:18:32 PM by Ram
Quote from: 06RoadGlider on January 13, 2010, 03:13:13 PM
thxs Ram for your reply
so if I have true dual reinharts with one bung in front pipe and is about 25 1/2" from head do I need to match that for back pipe where I weld in bung? What wire gage should one go with? any other info you can tell me I am all ears...lol

Sorry ment to say too much, was thinking like you said about the '07 placement.

"I have looked at 07's and they are mounted approx 6" from head and at about 45 deg angle."

Since your doing o2's from an '07 follow the their example of placement.

Reason being, the stock H-D o2's are not heated and are narrow band. Those units perform best up close to the head where the MOCO placed them. 

A wide band heated or not, have shone over time to be less reliable at the narrow band location up close to the exhaust.  I've seen many sites discuss this until the cows come home.  And am not attempting to get into it with anyone over all the intricacies involved with engineering o2 placement.  RB Racing placed mine and its esentially the same as what your observation is on the '07. Both are reputable enough for me. And the only thing that MOCO did recently was change to a heated o2 in the 2010. Which is farther away but a smaller bung. 

You could back wards engineer the heater ckt and use them at the 25 inch location, but that may get dicey unless you up to it.

So, if your going to stick with the '07 o2s, then stick with the MOCO placement of the '07s closer up to the head on each head pipe. And block off the farther away port with a plug.

Again sorry for not being more clear initially, its been a very long day for me. 

Will have to dig up all the rest of my info on wiring and post later. 2 HARLEY OXYGEN O2 SENSORS 27683-07 XL FLHT FLHR FLHTC, bought them off of e-bay.

Ram

Also bought wire off of e-bay.
20 gauge silver plated wire teflon jacket 3 different colors.
Same wire used for MIL-SPEC in aircraft and NASA. Good stuff, kind of way over kill but it was what I wanted. You can use a different wire just specify a good automotive grade jacket with over 90*C rating so it won't melt being around the engine and subject to vibrations.  I've also jacketed mine in heat shrink to also keep things from chaffing. And twisted each pair to limit induced noise and cross talk.

Steve Cole

Any of you that want to add O2 sensors to your stock HD ECM can find the instructions and part numbers all listed in our Tuning Guide. We put all the information along with the HD sensor part numbers so you can convert a 2004 and up to closed loop.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Blackbaggr

Steve...

Any chance you'd know if there are other choices out there for replacement sensors for '07 FLH bikes ...other than going to the HD dealer ? Part number/brands ? TIA...

06RoadGlider

Quote from: Steve Cole on January 13, 2010, 06:52:50 PM
Any of you that want to add O2 sensors to your stock HD ECM can find the instructions and part numbers all listed in our Tuning Guide. We put all the information along with the HD sensor part numbers so you can convert a 2004 and up to closed loop.
Steve Can you tell me where to find this tuning guide you speak of please.
thxs JJ

WVULTRA

'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

Steve Cole

I do not have any other part numbers but can tell you with the HD part number most auto parts store can get you replacements. There are three numbers we list and the difference is the length of the wires, so they will all work just fine.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

06RoadGlider

guys thanks so much for all the help, looks like I got some reading to do and get at her...lol :up: